Tuesday, March 08, 2005

RESISTANCE CINEMA PRESENT. . . . . .
U.S. premiere of the documentary "Hotel Palestine: Killing the Witness"
On April 8, 2003, the same day it bombed the Al Jazeera offices killing one of its journalists, a US military tank fired on the Palestine Hotel and killed two more journalists. Was this intentional? The family of Spanish journalist Jose Couso who died in the attack on the Hotel Palestine presents a compelling case in this 50-minute film that his death was no accident.

AMY GOODMAN will introduce the film and a post-screening presentation by Jose Couso's family. In New York his family members will launch a tour of the U.S. to "break the impunity" and hold the US government accountable.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 23, 2005
Reception with refreshments 6:30 p.m.
Program will begin promptly 7 p.m.
Reidy Fellowship Hall at Unitarian Church of All Souls
1157 Lexington Avenue (79-80 Streets)
No charge, but voluntary contributions appreciated

This event is a collaboration of Resistance Cinema (a project of the Education Committee of Not In Our Name and Action for Justice of the Community Church of New York), and the Peace Task Force of All Souls. To learn more about this subject, please visit: www.josecouso.info/english.php3

COLLEAGUES UNDER FIRE BUT U.S. MEDIA MUTE ... My Complaint About The Complaint
Antonia Zerbisias, Toronto Star
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0308-32.htm

PERSONAL NEWS #48

On Tuesday, February 8th, I reported to Jury Duty at the Brooklyn Courts. Haven't been called to Jury Duty since January 1999 [ie: civil trial]. Back when I was working for JER Hudson, with Keith and Peter at the helm. A year later two arrogant, smug, rich buggers [ie: John and Joe] had taken over. Turned a good job into a miserable, horrible, loathsome place of employment. Anyhow ... back in August 2004 I received word from Jury Duty that I was to serve. Since I was going on vacation to Canada that same month, I sent reply back asking for 6 month postponement. To be honest, I know Jury Duty is our civic obligation and all that, but I find it such a bore. After filling out paperwork, watching a video and hearing the announcements, we sat in the large main room and waited to be called. Passed the time by reading "Sharpe's Gold" by Bernard Cornwell and updated my Ferret Shelter Journal. Unfortunately my name did get called and for a darn murder trial. The process of picking a 12 panel jury with two alternates can take time. [This was a Tuesday and they'd started the process the day before.] By lunch time I was one of the perspective jurors and would be questioned after our break. 1 1/2 hours for lunch, so I strolled down Montague Street to TERESA's for a bite to eat and then window shopping. Back at the courts I managed to get off the jury selection. As I had some serious objections and/or qualms about aspects of the trial. [One of which was the weapon that murdered a man was still missing after two years.] And that was that ... no more jury duty for another 4 years. Hell yeah!

Okay, I admit it, I'm obsessed with purchasing and reading the wonderfully detailed SHARPE book series [ie: 1799 thru 1820] by British author Bernard Cornwell. After watching the SHARPE tv series [starring Sean Bean] on DVD, well folks, I had to read the books its based on. If you have an interest in Napoleonic Wars, military life, politics, romance and what life in general was like during the Peninsula Wars, then I highly recommend this series. Cornwell did a top notch job on research and provides "Historical Notes" at end of each book.


So where am I now in reading the books, I'm almost done with “Sharpes Siege” and next on my list is “Sharpes Revenge”. Oh yeah, by the way, have I failed to mention that I recently became a member of the UK Sharpe's Appreciation Society. Yippee!

Wednesday, February 9th, I filled in for Ellen as hostess of the monthly NYC DOP Meetup at Bonobo's. [The 9th was also Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. And like every year for past 20 years I give up chocolate. And also donuts.] Penn, Liz and her hubby Rob joined me. Most of the conversation was between Liz [DOP board member] and Penn. Totally fascinating! I did not know that Sargent Shriver [Maria Shriver’s papa] was the creator of the famed Peace Corp. Noted author Margaret Wheatley was mentioned, as was State Senator Tom Duane.

Thursday, February 17th, was the monthly NYC Chapter Dept of Peace board members meeting. This time held at Karen's charmingly decorated apartment on the eastside of Manhattan. [She provided some yummy nibblers and delicious tea. As well as read a lovely poem by her late mother to kick off the evening.] Those in attendance were Liz, Dawn, Karen, Carol, Kevin, Ellen, Joe and myself. What a terrific, productive evening we had and accomplished quite abit in 2 1/2 hours. I was secretary for the meeting and took lots of notes for the minutes. Our next board meeting is slated for March 10th.

Sunday, February 20th, attended an event at Covenant House on lower Westside of Manhattan to hear noted author and activist Marianne Williamson speak. Hung out with Joe, Maria, Andy, Liz [her hubby & two sons were there] and we distributed NYC DOP postcards. Quite a diverse crowd turned up for the event and I'd say around 700 people were in attendance. Plus, the "New Harlem Gospel Singers" provided inspiring musical entertainment. [Definitely got the crowd on their feet end of the evening.] Marianne touched on many topics ... such as: Buddha, wisdom, meta-physical, political/social transformation, patterns of peace & thought, illusion, progressive condition, ego, divine self, etc. One of her quotes ... "The light within is of God". There was also a Q&A segment, along with a closing prayer. Maria told me I didn't need to take notes, as they always provide burned CD copies of these events for a small fee. So I picked up one before heading out with Andy. [I listened to it recently for inspiration.] Andy and I talked about all sorts of things on the way to the subway. He's a nice, elderly gent.



URGENT: HOUSE TO VOTE ON IRAQ WAR FUNDING THURS MAR 10th
Thursday, March 10th, the House Appropriations Committee will vote on President Bush’s proposed supplemental increase of eighty billion dollars for the Iraq. This is in addition to the 160 billion dollars already misspent and wasted. Please contact your Congressional representative quickly, urging them to vote AGAINST the supplemental budget request, and to support any amendment that calls for an end to the occupation and support for Iraqi sovereignty, such as Representative Lynn Woolsey's (D-CA) House Resolution…..

http://capwiz.com/pdamerica/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=7071606

Please encourage your friends, family and co-workers to join this effort. As we build for the future, the largest possible showing of Congressional opposition is important. Yours for Peace … Brooklyn Parents for Peace

No comments: