Monday, January 30, 2006

PERSONAL NEWS #83
On Sunday, December 11th, I had a good workout session at the gym with my personal trainer (Marie). Gave her a few pair of bead style earrings I designed as an early Xmas gift. She really liked them.

Tuesday, December 13th, was the monthly NYC DoP conference call hosted by Kevin. Hector and I joined him on the call. Some topics of discussion were on being a more active "chapter" like the Dept of Peace team up in MA. They totally rock! Hector mentioned what’s been happening in his district and working on getting a meeting with Congressman Nadler. Go in with a detailed agenda and not just to say "HIYA". I mentioned we should do a peace event around March 18th, related to the 3rd anniversary of US invasion of Iraq. Many of these topics will be discussed at the December and January "core team" meetings.

Thursday, December 15th, was the monthly NYC Dept of Peace core team meeting, which was held at Coco's [DoP member] home in Manhattan. Since it’s the holiday season we decided to do a Santa grab bag. The gifts were to be from something in ones home and shared with love/peace. I contributed a book of poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning and a Norm Chomsky DVD. We did this "grab bag" when everyone was assembled and before meeting commenced. [Those in attendance that evening were Dawn, Joe, Kevin, Carol, Liz, Karen, Norma, Carly, Priscilla, & Hector.] It was lots of fun and I received a Japanese Sake drinking cup from Hector. I've never had Sake and one of these days I'll give it a try. The meeting itself was energized, productive, inspiring and very enjoyable. As always, I took the minutes. Afterwards we headed off to a charming Italian restaurant for a light repast [with wine] and stimulating conversation. [DoP member Ellen joined us at the restaurant.] I also brought some of my peace bead style earrings [photo below] I designed and sold 7 pairs. WooHoo!

Half of the proceeds go to NYC DoP account and the rest I kept purchasing more beads. Weather was horrible that evening, subways were messed up and I arrived home around 11:30pm.

On Saturday, December 17th, I invited Jackie and Becca over for dinner, drinks & watch LOTRs "Fellowship of the Ring". Since both were unable to attend my October birthday party ... I suggested buffet/movie/socialize at my place when suitable to their schedules. Jackie showed up first and then Becca showed up shortly after via car service. Unfortunately she forgot her wallet and I paid the car service. [Becca stopped by my office a few days later to pay me back.] Both ladies were dressed in Gothic style garb, which looks so cool on them. [Becca was heading to a Gothic club party later that night with her boyfriend.] Me, I was just wearing jeans and turtleneck. What I call my comfy weekend wear. We hung out for hours talking about LOTRs and other cool topics. While eating the buffet meal [ie: salad, spinach quiche, crab cakes & wine] we watched the film. Periodically we'd make "goofy comments" about the film and had many good laughs. I had homemade brownies for dessert and they both took some to munch on the subway ride to their destinations. Had such an enjoyable evening and we'll do it again in February. We'll watch LOTRs "The Two Towers" on that occasion [theatrical version].

December 20th thru 22nd was the Transit Strike in NYC. Three days of dealing with this darn strike can wear a person out. Mon dieu! My hip joints, feet and calves are so sore from alot of walking, plus standing in the cold. On top of all that I'm out $30 towards ferry fees. E&Y hasn't decided if they'll reimburse us for these "expenses". That really pisses me off. Tuesday was so cold and windy, where as Thursday it was abit more tolerable. Bundled up like some Eskimo, I'd be out the door by 7:30am for the 30 minute walk to Long Island City in Queens to catch a 5 minute ferry boat ride into Manhattan. Sometimes one had to wait over 15 minutes for a ferry boat. Then we're let off on East 35th Street in Manhattan, where it takes me another 30 minute brisk walk to the office. At 4:30pm I do a repeat performance, only in reverse. [The streets and sidewalks were congested the whole time. Definitely more so than usual. Many were utilizing different forms of transport; such as bikes, rollerblades, skateboards, etc. Cabs were packed with passengers, as were the many car services.] Tuesday evening I was so tired I was in bed by 9:30pm. Sigh! Other folk have it worse off than me, while still others have it abit easier. We heard on 22nd that the strikers would be forced to go back to work on 23rd. Though Roger Toussaint said they may resume striking on December 28th. Dear lord, I hope not. On Friday, December 23rd, I had to take car service into Manhattan to catch an early bus to Albany, as the "G" subway line wasn't quite up and running yet. [The last transit strike was 25 years ago and 3 years before I'd moved to Manhattan.]

LIBERAL NEWS FROM THE WEEKEND

PRESIDENT JONAH
Gore Vidal, Truthdig
Novelist Gore Vidal argues that America under Bush is evincing characteristics of the post-fall-of-Rome Dark Ages.
http://www.alternet.org/story/31321/

END OF THE ROAD MAP
Robert Dreyfuss, TomPaine.com
Hamas' victory in the Palestinian elections is a disaster built on short-sighted policies by the PLO, Israel and the U.S.
http://www.alternet.org/story/31437/

WHY WE STOOD
Jennie Pasquarella, Shonali Shome, WireTap
Georgetown University Law School students explain why they staged a protest to oppose Alberto Gonzales' speech defending government's wiretapping.
http://www.alternet.org/wiretap/31434/

THE DUTY TO FILIBUSTER
John Nichols, The Nation
We elect Senators with the hope and expectation that they will fight for democracy, not rubber stamp the status quo.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/31423/

NATURAL FOOD, UNNATURAL PRICES
Stan Cox, AlterNet
Is it possible to eat well without breaking the bank? Our correspondent goes shopping at Whole Foods and comes away hungry.
http://www.alternet.org/story/31260/

No comments: