Monday, September 15, 2008

PERSONAL NEWS #150

On Tuesday, Sept 2nd, I went back to work after a month long medical leave. Felt good to be back at the office and see my co-workers. There was much to do, organize and catch up on since my medical leave, plus several new projects.

Thursday evening, Sept 4th, after work I attended the weekly Park Slope knitters group at Sweet Melissa’s. Great seeing familiar faces and meet some new members of this terrific group. I haven’t been to a weekly gathering since mid July. Archie kindly helped me with my zig zag scarf project, which I’ve been tackling on and off since July.

Friday evening, Sept 5th, after work I volunteered with City Harvest at the Union Square farmers market.

On Sunday afternoon, Sept 7th, I attended a lecture at All Souls Church on upper eastside of Manhattan. Lecture was by Laura Donohue and the subject was on the “Cost of Counterterrorism: Power, Politics & Liberty”. Donohue examines laws in both the US and UK that have been promoted as increasing security at the expense of life, liberty, property, privacy and free speech. As these two countries take a leading role in setting global counterterrorism norms, at stake is the future of liberal democracy. While at this fascinating lecture, I ran into Susan C and Mary G. Haven’t seen either of these progressive, activist ladies in awhile and it was great to catch up on news.

Monday evening, Sept 8th, I participated in the NYDoP conference call with other board members to discuss fundraising strategies. Not only to raise funds for NYDoP, but also our upcoming Inwood Retreat. It was a good, productive call and great chatting with these amazing folk.

Tuesday, Sept 9th, turned into quite a busy productive day. I started the day off with going to the polls to vote in the NYS primary. After a busy work day, I had an appointment with my foot doctor for much needed therapy on my left foot. Last time I had therapy on the foot was in early to mid June. That evening I participated in a NYDoP CCR Committee conference call. We worked on fine tuning the fax we’ll be sending out to City Council co-sponsors of Resolution 627. Plus discuss strategy in regards to local Community Boards etc.

Wednesday morning, Sept 10th, I had an 8:45am appointment with Dr Pujol in regards to these new meds, which are still causing me diarrhea and trouble sleeping at night. He advised I stop taking them for now to give my internal system a rest. Will have a follow up visit with him next week, as well as see Dr Challapalli. After work that evening I had an appointment with my chiropractor for therapy and adjustment.

LATEST IN THE NEWS

Cynthia McKinney Speaks on Election Integrity
http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2008/09/cynthia-mckinney-speaks-on-election.html
[McKinney spoke directly to the issues surrounding Election Integrity. She is, to my knowledge, the only Presidential candidate of any party this year, to speak substantively to the most important matter underscoring every freedom we have and every serious issue we face in this nation.]

Remembering 9/11
Congressman Dennis Kucinich
http://kucinich.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2430&Itemid=1

Sean Bean & John Tams at the 2008 Folk Awards
Media: BBC 2 Radio Interview with John & Sean after the 2008 Folk Awards. Watch an interview with John Tams, winner of Best Duo Award with Barry Coope, and one of his biggest fans, the actor Sean Bean: "I'm entirely bowled over by the fact Sean came and presented the award." John celebrates his award, and recalls working with Sean on the drama, Sharpe. Watch it at the original site. . .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/folkawards2008/johntams.shtml

No comments: