Monday, August 09, 2010

PERSONAL NEWS #185

Thursday, July 1st, I chaired the NYdoPeace CCR team conference call, and the main topic was on NY City Council Resolution 14.

July 2nd to 5th, I had an enjoyable visit with my parents for the holiday weekend. Through the course of the weekend I worked on crocheting a baby blanket, hair salon appt, Crazy Glue container stuck to my thumb, Dad’s car died while Mom and I were utilizing it, did some painting/sketching, reading, rode my bike, and caught up on rest from a hectic work schedule.

Wednesday, July 7th, I attended the NYC Philosophy meetup at the Irish Rogue.

Thursday evening, July 8th, I participated in the “World Can’t Wait” conference call.

Saturday evening, July 10th, I joined my friend Dennis in attending the Doobie Brothers and Chicago gig out at Jones Beach Theater in western Long Island. Was so glad the weather cooperated for all. The storms passed by a few hours before the gig and the humidity dropped. Amen! Both Dennis and I whipped up a tasty, healthy picnic to enjoy out in the parking lot [tailgating] before the gig started. Many others were doing the same out in the parking lot. Our seats were up in the top tier of this outdoor theater with terrific views of the surrounding water and wetlands. Doobie Brothers came on first at 8pm and played a terrific one-hour set. At times Dennis and I were dancing in the aisle, it was that good. Then a 20 minute or so intermission followed and I made my bathroom break. Chicago came on at 9:30pm and performed an equally good one-hour set. Great to finally see two bands I loved from the 1970s and 1980s live in concert. Then the Doobie Brothers came out to join Chicago for an awesome 20 minute plus encore and finale. Dennis and I were dancing like crazy to the music in the handicap section, as it was empty. So exhilarating and joyful! I sang along with most of the songs all evening. [Afterwards, Dennis and I purchased band t-shirts out in the parking lot from some dude for $10 each.] Happy, happy ... joy, joy J

Monday evening, July 12th, I did some volunteer work for Doug Biviano’s NYC Assembly campaign in Brooklyn Heights.

Tuesday evening, July 13th, I was invited [thank you Cielito] to the “We Are the Hartman’s” fundraiser event at Don Hill’s bar in Tribeca.

Wednesday evening, July 14th, I was invited by fellow NYdoPeace member, Chris Archer, to the local Manhattan Green Party meeting on upper Westside. Chris was giving a brief presentation on Dept of Peace [HR808] and NY City Council Resolution 14. I was there for support, hand out Peace Alliance brochures and to answer questions about the NYdoPeace chapter. This chapter of the Green Party was very supportive of the presentation and voted to endorse it. The only drawback to the evening was the host’s apartment had no air conditioning and just a fan or two.

Thursday evening, July 15th, after getting a much needed manicure, I chaired the NYdoPeace CCR team conference call. Topic was regarding follow-up calls to NY City Council members and Community Board district managers on recent letters faxed to them on Resolution 14.

Friday evening, July 16th, I joined my friend Margaret in visiting our friend Eileen at Mt Sinai hospital on the upper Eastside. We brought gifties and stayed over an hour. At one point, Eileen’s foul husband, and soon to be ex, showed up to attempt assistance with her laptop. Afterwards Margaret and I went to “One Fish Two Fish” for a late dinner and chat.

On a hot Saturday, July 17th, I headed out to Westbury, NY for the “Empowering Women” event hosted by the awesome ladies of LIDoP. It was an inspiring, informative and definitely an empowering event that took place over a 4 hour span. Some of the LIDoP ladies were part of NYdoPeace and it was great seeing them again. Many hugs were exchanged and catching up on news. [See photo below] Another “Empowering Women” event is being planned for the early autumn. Stay tuned for updates.................

On Wednesday, July 21st, my friend Nancie visited me at my office for lunch and catch up on news. She’s up from VA visiting family and our mutual friend Eileen who is at Mt Sinai hospital.

Thursday evening, July 22nd, I attended a book release & signing, plus Panel Discussion on “Erasing Iraq: The Human Costs of Carnage” at Revolution Books on 146 West 26th Street, NYC. Author Michael Otterman was there to talk about his new book and do a Q&A segment. “‘Erasing Iraq’ is an account of the actual carnage in human terms, including interviews with Iraqi refugees. The continuing U.S. occupation is described as an “attempted sociocide”… either through negligence or deliberate strategy to stun the country into submission. If I could only recommend one book that provides a comprehensive overview of both the situation in Iraq today, and the decades of US backed policy it took to create this nightmare scenario, ‘Erasing Iraq’ is it.” Quote by Dahr Jamail [“Beyond the Green Zone”].

Friday evening, July 23rd, I attended Friday Nite Knits in the Kensington section of Brooklyn.

July 27th, at 5pm, I had therapy at my foot doctor’s office, and then afterwards attended the “Rethink Afghanistan” meetup in Park Slope. This is a new meetup hosted and created by Emma, whom I know via the last Kucinich presidential campaign. About six of us attended the meetup. Much was discussed, idea’s bopped around, suggestions, links and strategizing on what our meetup can accomplish down the road. Stay tuned for further updates. . . . . .

July 28th, at 6pm, I met up with Dennis and we had Chinese cuisine before heading off to MSG to see Buddy Guy and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert. Our seats were up in the top most tiers at MSG and the air conditioning didn’t always work so well. Plus the cigarette and pot smoke mingled around didn’t help my asthma or lungs. Dennis lent me his inhaler at one point, which helped quite abit for my breathing. As to the gigs … well … both were really good and entertaining. I recognized all the Tom Petty hits from the 1980s and the audience participation was intense.

On Saturday, July 31st, I attended Quidditch at Riverside Park on the upper Westside with TGTSNBN. Marauders won 2 games out of 3 over the Centaurs. I was assisting on the sidelines with keeping score. Weather was perfect and that friggin humidity was down. Amen! Afterwards, I strolled around the park to do some sketching, photographs, plus read my book [ie: Sabriel]. Back home briefly rested and freshen up, then back into the city to volunteer with City Harvest down at Union Square farmers market. Then bop up to Stone Creek Lounge on East 27th Street to hangout with TGTSNBN to celebrate Harry’s 30th birthday. Yep, that’s right; Harry was born in 1980 according to JK Rowling. TGTSNBN took over Stone Creek Lounge and partied with much eating of food, cake, drinking, playing Charades and having “Goblet of Fire” playing in the background. At one point I had a lengthy conversation with Tom about the final season of LOST. Overall it was a great evening that rounded out a terrific day.

[Me holding a Harry Potter doll, and posing with some of TGTSNBN members at Stone Creek Lounge.]

No comments: