Sunday, May 13, 2018


REFLECTIVE NOTE:  Over the years, for me, milestone birthdays bring about serious, thought provoking reflection.  What have I accomplished and what can I bring about down the road.  Back when I was touching on my 50th birthday, I was excited about it, and would proudly say I am “half a century”.

I remember my paternal grandfather [i.e.: Poppy] saying to me on my 25th birthday, “what have you done with your life”.  At the time, I thought moving to NYC was a big deal.  [I’ve lived in NYC for 35 years.]  Poppy thought otherwise.  He never said much, but when he did it was heart felt and thought provoking.  Because of Poppy’s “question”, I said “self, time to do some traveling and other things”.  In my 40s I became more politically / peace aware and involved in activism.  During my 50th birthday milestone, I wished Poppy was there [damn my eyes / stop tearing up], so I could say “because of your question to me, look what I’ve done with my life”.

I am 5 months away from my 60th and I am reflecting again on Poppy’s question.  Okay self, we are not done, there is so much more to do in life.  Age and health will not deter me.  I’ve always wanted to take assorted college courses and now I’ll be seriously looking into it.  Check out and participate in more Meetup.com events, meet new people, gratitude to my parents / friends, plus be more involved with charities / volunteering.  Kick in with more traveling to different states, cities and countries.

This past winter into early spring wasn’t easy for me mentally and emotionally.  Not looking for sympathy my dear friends … I am just stating facts.  With my reflections this morning, while doing yoga, I need to turn over a new leaf and kick my butt into gear.  It may take time, but dammit, I’ll get there.

No comments: