Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Well folks, since my last post about the work situation, much has happened. Found out last Wednesday afternoon, July 16th, that we doing the "big move" on Friday and not end of the month. Ugh! Lots of last minute work to do, calling vendors, cancelling accounts, packing up supplies and offices, etc. Much paid overtime. Then I find out in a meeting with my Administrative Manager on Thursday, that my position with STS Group was eliminated. Imagine my surprise and shock upon hearing that! Whoa! But they had good news for me, until I can find a new permanent position in the firm, I'll be a floater/temp admin. Actually, I have three months to find a new permanent position. In September the firm is doing a major restacking [hard to explain] and promotions. Which means there will be lots of openings. Yeah! So, in the meantime, I float and am now at the Times Square location.

The move on Friday from downtown office was long, but successful. My computer from downtown office has been temporarily set up in the TSS department on 8th floor. So thats why I was able to access several times yesterday and today. Felt good to deal with office and personal emails, plus check out PJ stuff on the net and IRWTpt2. Anyhow ... I hooked up with my Administrative Manager and we discussed what will be happening during this "transition". I also touched base with accounting and facilities department to go over invoices and such regarding downtown office. I also briefly connected with the secretary who's now covering for the partner I worked with. Passing on his info, emails, calendar, etc. During all this I was running into people I hadn't seen in months and they were wondering why I was up at Times Square office. Many explanations, yah know. Also, my Admin Mgr gave me the company link to the "job openings" database. At least twice a week I have to check it to see what openings in the firm are available, discuss it with my recruiter and then apply for the position. Then there was lunch in their cafeteria, which I'm not going to do often, as I'd rather "brown bag" it and save money. I already miss the nice small parks down in Wall Street area. Then yesterday afternoon I had two meetings ... one with new Admin Mgr and secretary to main partner in STS group. Have met a few cool new people. Everyone has been nice and helpful. On a good note, the commute was only 20 minutes this AM and I utilize two subways, not three. Big difference!

Lets see ... lighter news ... I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon at a park in my neighborhood. The weather was wonderful! Blue skies, not too hot, and a slight breeze. Took a blanket, small pillow, bottled water, snack, reading material and ventured forth. Parked my ass under a nice, shady tree for 3 1/2 hours. Sometimes I napped, read or watched folk play softball. Last night, on the local PBS station [telly], I watched several cool programs. They were "History Detectives", "American Experience - Ansel Adams" and "Charlie Rose". Time to sign off ... for now ... lunch time.

No comments: