Friday, January 07, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #44
I know, I know, long time since I last wrote up some of my own news. Well, what can I say; I was abit busy with projects, work and the holidays. Now that the holidays are over … big sigh … no more long weekends and sleeping late in the AM … I can catch up on a few tidbits. Here it goes … strap yourselves in good people because it’s going to be a long one. Are you ready? All nice and comfy? Okay. . . . .

Back on December 12th I went to see the movie "Alexander" with fellow Kucitizen [Ellen], as she had two free tickets from a client. First of all the director could have knocked off at least 15 minutes of film. Some scenes were not necessary, especially in the last 30 minutes. Though visually the whole film was stunning, but not as brilliant as LOTRs. What I do admire about “Alexander”, is that director Oliver Stone stayed as close as possible to the history of Alexander the Great. Back in May 2004, when I went to see TROY, I was appalled at the changes Hollywood producers et al made to the storyline. For those who haven’t read the Homer epics, I highly recommend the reading of “The Iliad” and “Odyssey”. Brilliant!

On Tuesday, December 14th, went on a terrific dinner date with a new chap [Dan]. We’d met via Yahoo Personals the month before, corresponded via email and talked on the phone once before our date. We met up in the Carroll Gardens neighborhood of Brooklyn after work. Imagine my surprise, and Dan’s, when the restaurant [ie: Harvest] we were to meet at was no longer in business. I really loved that restaurant. We ended up going to a nice, charming French restaurant [ie: Patois] on Smith Street. Spent over 3 hours eating good food and enjoying diverse, fascinating conversation. I really like this chap with his dark, soulful eyes and the way he runs his fingers thru his hair. Hummmmm

Wednesday, December 15th, was the “now monthly” NYC DoP conference call. Had a good turnout [ie: Carol, Kevin1, Terry, Kevin2, Liz, Joe, Cielito, Karen, Maria and I] for this call and a variety of conversations developed. Terry mentioned he’d worked as a volunteer on Kucinich campaign in upstate NY area near Interlaken. And that Hinchey is congressman in that area. Cielito I know via the NYC Friends of Kucinich group. There was mention, during the call, of the 2nd Annual Youth Council on Violence. The event is being organized by the Soka Gakkai International group on January 17th here in Manhattan [7 East 15th Street].

On Thursday, December 16th, the department I work for, Insurance Tax at E&Y, had their annual holiday luncheon at Simply Pasta. We all had an enjoyable time, good food, wine and a good variety of conversation. I’m fortunate to be working with a terrific group of individuals who treat me well. January 29th marks my 4th anniversary with E&Y.

n Saturday, December 18th, I joined an acquaintance [fellow Kucitizen] in attending a class for “You Gotta Believe” out in Brooklyn. A nine-step program for people who’d be interested in adopting a child or teenager. The class Paul brought me to dealt with “loss & grieving”. The two-hour session was quite an illuminating experience. Don’t know if I’d ever adopt a child or teenage, like Paul did three years ago, but its important to explore and learn if it would be a sensible choice. I may attend another session to learn more.

On Monday, December 20th, I had lunch with Debra and Celeste from EY to celebrate the holiday season. We went to a really good French Provencal restaurant on West 46th Street. Most likely, due to the horrible weather, not many people ventured out that day and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. Terrific service and food, though I can’t recall the name of place. Sorry, my bad. Received some nice gifts from my bosses and co-workers, plus I brought in several tins of my homemade holiday cookies. Made up many loaves of my yummy Pumpkin Bread, as gifts for folk in my department. Everyone complimented me most favorably.

December 22nd thru 26th … Headed upstate NY early Wednesday morning via bus. My uncle and Mom picked me up at bus terminal in Albany, and then we headed to hospital to bring Dad home. Yep, he was in the hospital again due to troubles with his left lung. Between his stay in November for heart surgery and this resent situation, the man lost about 30 lbs. Yikes! Having him home, well again and out of the damn hospital was a lovely gift. What more can a daughter ask for, yah know. During the rest of my stay with the folks I got to relax, shopping, hairdresser, cook for Dad, watch some cable tv [ie: Emeril Live & James Bond marathon], visit my brother [& his wife] and other relatives. Sadly we had no snow to bless us with a white Xmas.

[Duchess & Mom on Xmas Eve At Brothers Home In Schenectady]

On Friday, December 31st, I threw an impromptu houseparty at my place for some members of NYC Friends of Kucinich. So happy my office was officially closed that Friday. Amen! This meant I had time to clean house and shop for goodies. Acquaintances started showing up around 7pm and all brought more goodies for the festivities, including a few bottles of wine. The conversations revolved around politics, world events, food and even music. Around 11:55pm I turned on the telly so we could watch the New Year arrive via Times Square. Then everyone headed home at 12:30am … a new year has begun … so let’s strive to make it a more peaceful one with less war.

January 1st … the New Year began with a “Lord of the Rings” marathon [extended editions] at the home of fellow Kucitizen [Linda] in Brooklyn. After shopping for goodies, Linda and I settled down to watch the first film when Max showed up. Max is Cielito’s friend and also attended my party the evening before. Between DVD discs we took breaks for refreshment, bathroomand stretching. While watching the second film Linda’s roommate Jamie and her brother joined us. Linda has “surround sound” hooked up on her entertainment system. I’m hearing things in the films I’d never heard before, which I thought was so cool. Sadly, we never got around to seeing the third film, as it was around 11pm when “The Two Towers” ended. Save ROTK for another time, as the extended version is over four hours long. Whew!

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell. William Tecumseh Sherman, Union General -American Civil War (1820-1891)

ABIT OF NEWS BEFORE HEADING INTO THE WEEKEND

LAWMAKERS LAUNCH HISTORIC PROTEST OF ELECTORAL VOTE
Lynn Sweet, Chicago Sun Times
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0107-02.htm

LYNCHING SOCIAL SECURITY
Molly Ivins, AlterNet
While healthcare and global warming are serious problems, Social Security isn't. We are, however, about to be swamped by an election-style campaign to convince us it is.
http://www.alternet.org/story/20916/

OUR VOTING SYSTEM NEEDS A NEW CONSTITUTIONAL FOUNDATION
Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr Commentary
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0106-35.htm

MORE SENIORS SOON MAY FACE THE OTHER AMERICA
Harold Meyerson, Star Tribune/Minneapolis
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0106-21.htm

ALBERTO GONZALES HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS
Star Tribune Editorial
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0106-22.htm

No comments: