Friday, December 09, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #79
On Tuesday, November 1st, I participated in the National Dept of Peace conference call. Featured guest speaker during the call was Minnesota Senator Mark Dayton [Democrat] and Lynn McMullen was the facilitator, plus Dot Maver. I’m always amazed and inspired by ALL the people, throughout the US, who participate in these calls month after month. This “peace movement” is a happening thing. Oh yeah! Topics of discussion, during the call, were we need to lobby City Councils to adopt legislation for the Dept of Peace campaign. Members [ie: Priscilla & Kevin] from our NYC contingent spoke up during the call. One of the inquiries was about the bills sub-committees and committees. The House would have to pass on ALL four committees. Mention of the following link … http://www.fortunesociety.org/ which David Rothenberg of WBAI is involved. Senator Dayton talked at length and said he’ll be sending a “special letter” to senators within a week about the Dept of Peace bill. This news was well received by everyone on the call. Lynn mentioned she’ll email this letter out to all on the emailing list, so that we can follow up with our own Senators over Thanksgiving and Xmas.


On Wednesday, November 2nd, the NYC Dept of Peace Steering Committee held its first meeting at a Starbucks on upper Eastside of Manhattan. It was attended by me, along with Carol, Karen and Hector. Lovely seeing everyone again and we had a most productive session. Discussions revolved around the fundraising letter timeline and appeal, plus bank account and mailing list creation.

On Friday, November 4th, I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art after work to see two exhibits. [Museum is open until 8:30pm on Fridays.] I haven’t been to this wonderful museum in awhile and I just couldn’t miss an exhibit dealing with one of my favorite painters, Van Gogh. The Van Gogh exhibit is a brilliant display of drawing/sketching/paintings. The progress and development of his work, over the years, is quite evident. Plus he even utilized watercolors, which was of special interest to me. [The exhibit may still be viewed until end of December.] The other exhibit I viewed was a fine showing of 14th Century art/gems/sculpture/religious work from the European city of Prague. An exhibit of work that really takes your breath away in the use of gems, gold and fantastic detail, especially in their illustrated bibles. [This exhibit is also on view thru end of December.]

On Sunday, November 6th, I watched the NYC Marathon [2 blocks from my apartment] as the runners passed thru my neighborhood in northern Brooklyn. The day was cool, sunny and abit windy. Those that garnered the biggest cheers of support are the disabled with Achilles Track Club. Wish I had made up sign [Democrats Support DoP] to flash at that worm Bloomberg, but sadly did not. So, instead, I glared at the jerk in his fancy convertible and quickly turned my back on him. Yeah baby, the cold shoulder treatment. I don’t loath him as much I do Rudy Guliani. Damn tyrant! Two days later, on Election Day, I voted for Democrats, Greens, Progressives and even an Independent. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with Bloomberg for another four years. Barf!!

No comments: