Monday, February 13, 2006


PERSONAL NEWS #85
On January 26th, members from the NYC Dept of Peace core team [ie: Karen, Carol, Chris, Joe, Marni, Eileen, Norma & I] held an hour long conference call regarding an upcoming Marianne Williamson event in April. Much prep work to do between now and then. Main one being finding a large, affordable and suitable location. Do media advertising, fax out invitations, making connections, etc. We are hoping to get Ben Harper and Congressman Kucinich to participate in this event. Stay tuned for more news. . . . .

On Saturday, January 28th, I had a training session at the gym with Marie my personal trainer. Was feeling well enough, but not quite 100%, to tackle a one hour gym workout. Marie is fully aware of my health situation and we took it easy. During the workout I had a few coughing fits, some green hairballs and had to utilize the inhaler twice. Overall it felt good to be back at the gym. Will easy back into the routine during February with one visit a week to the gym. Then upgrade that in March and so forth.

On Wednesday, February 1st, attended 3-hour training for nonviolent communications with other NYC DoP folk. Hadn't seen many of my DoP pals since the December meeting. It was great catching up and receiving supportive hugs. This 3-hour training is called "Getting Your Point Across - When Others Don't Want to Listen". And was held at HealthyBody NYC on Broadway and hosted by Dr Dian Killian. The 3-hour training provided us tools to:

* Gain confidence in our ability to resolve conflict while maintaining integrity to your values.
* Increase our level of satisfaction and feeling of connection in all relationships.

It’s based on Gandhian principles of Nonviolence and inspired by the work of humanist psychologist Carl Rogers, Nonviolent Communication helps us to hear and express feelings and needs and make clear observations and requests. Its important training and the basics are learned in those three hours. With more training, over time, one can become more adept at proper nonviolent communication. Not only with strangers; but with co-workers, politicians, friends and family members. I also purchased two small books on the topic by Dr Marshall Rosenberg. To learn more go to ... http://www.brooklynnvc.org/

On Thursday, February 2nd, I attended our E&Y department [ie: Insurance Tax] two-hour luncheon to welcome a new employee on staff. The lunch was enjoyable and delicious ... held at a kosher restaurant in the theater district area off of Seventh Avenue [46th St]. The entry and dessert I ordered did not upset my sensitive stomach, plus I stuck with water, as wine would not have been appropriate. John, the head partner of our department, footed the bill which I'm sure was quite pricey.

Wednesday, February 8th, was an exciting day for me. The week before I learned that my districts Congresswoman, Nydia Velazquez, [Democrat] had not signed on to the third re-introduction of the US Dept of Peace bill in September 2005. This greatly disappointed me, as she had signed on the first two times, why not now. Over the weekend I composed a one page fax to my congresswoman. I faxed it out twice on the 6th and 7th. Not only to my congresswoman, but to her "chief of staff" and her "scheduler". Wednesday morning I received a phone call from Velazquez's DC office. A nice young lady named Julie asked me for some info and abit about DoP, which I graciously provided. [In all the faxes I've sent to Velazquez office since August 2005, I'm finally getting some feedback. Hurray!!] In turn I asked her for direct dial and fax numbers to Ms Howard the scheduler. Once off the phone I promptly faxed my FAX to Ms Howard. Later in the afternoon I receive an email from Carol, NYC DoPs chairperson, asking me if I was responsible for this [followed by a smiley face]. I scroll down the email and it was announced from Congressman Kucinich office and National DoP office that Nydia Velazquez has co-sponsored the bill. OMG!!!!! My fax motivated the congresswoman to contact the congressman’s office. This was big news. I was so happy, giddy and excited [bouncing out of my chair & dancing around my desk area] that my co-workers became abit alarmed. Naturally, since I'd been very ill during most of January. I explained what transpired and they were all happy for me. Anything to promote peace and not war is a damn good thing. I called Carol and we talked about it. I even emailed some friends about the news. Later on, after I calmed down abit, I called my parents to tell them the good news and they were impressed. Am hoping to score a meeting with the congresswoman to talk about DoP. Stay tuned for updates.

Friday, February 10th, I attended a special screening event with Linda at Reidy Friendship Hall on upper eastside of Manhattan. [Linda drove me home afterwards, as that was quicker than taking NYC transit.] It was to see the German film called "Sophie Scholl". [I highly recommend this film and firmly believe it’s a must see for all.] The Adult Education Committee and Peace Task Force of All Souls, in conjunction with Zeitgeist Films, presented the film for free. The film is up for an Academy Award nomination of Best Foreign Language Film of 2006. SOPHIE SCHOLL "is the true story of a young woman who did what few in Nazi Germany even dared to think." Director of the film, Marc Rothemund was present afterwards to talk about the film and answer questions from those of us in the audience. The film, SOPHIE SCHOLL, received a 20 minute standing ovation after its premier at the Berlin Film Festival, where it won the Silver Bear Awards for Best Director and Best Actress. It also won the Audience Award for Best Feature at the Hamptons Film Festival this past summer. For more information about the film visit www.sophieschollmovie.com As for myself; I could see small, noticeable parallels throughout the film between Nazi Germany and present day Bush Regime. The trial in the film, reminded me of what the US Supreme Court will be like from now on that Judge Alito is part of it. There are no more moderates on the US Supreme Court only ultra conservatives. This nasty cocktail spells disaster for average Americans over the next 5 to 15 years.

Blizzard of 2006 hit yesterday, February 12th, and dumped 24 inches of snow on NYC, plus the tri-state area. It’s a beautiful, pure white winter wonderland out my living room window in Brooklyn. The flurries started late yesterday afternoon and the heavy snow commenced in the wee hours when most folk are asleep. I was up at 3am to use the bathroom and looked out the window. Maybe a few inches of snow on the ground and the wind was howling furiously. When I got up a 7:30am the weather changed to a much heavier snowfall and all was quiet outside. [I love it like that ... peaceful.] Was supposed to go into Manhattan around 1pm to do some DoP work with Carol at her place. Knew it wouldn't be possible and sent her an email. We'll reschedule for another time. Some jackass [male] in an SUV was trying to drive and park at 8am in front of my apartment building. [He did hit the fire hydrant across the street.] His vehicle had NO snow tires and the idiot was flooring the gas pedal. Stupid man! At one point he gets out of his gas guzzling SUV with a small shovel to look behind his vehicle. I couldn't help it ... just made me laugh. He finally gives up and drives off sliding down the street.


As the morning progressed folk came out to shovel the sidewalk in front of their buildings or head to the grocery stores for supplies. In the early afternoon parents pulled their small children along on sleds. The snowfall stopped after 3pm and the wind caused many snow drifts. Throughout the day I caught up on things ... such as reading, baking, emails, bead jewelry earrings, telly, movie, phone calls and cleaning.

[Associated Press photo at left of upper eastside in Manhattan on Sunday, February 12th ... blizzard of 2006]



LETTER FROM RAMSEY CLARK: IMPEACHMENT MEANS THE PEOPLE STILL HAVE THEPOWER! THE NEW YORK TIMES AD WAS A GREAT SUCCESS! HELP PLACE MORE!
Impeachment is the most important issue facing Constitutional government in the United States. Impeachment will determine whether the American people will hold the Bush administration accountable for its High Crimes and Misdemeanors: the supreme international crime -- a war of aggression, rampant militarism, torture, surreptitious laws and treaties, and economic policies that steal from the poor and middle class to further enrich the rich. Impeachment is also the test that will determine whether "We The People" of the United States, still have the power to affect the conduct of our own elected officials and the will to exercise that power.

George Bush seeks $2.77 trillion for the 2007 Fiscal Year budget providing for more military aggression and less education, health care and other programs for the people. He has nearly three more years to take our country into more wars maybe in Iran, North Korea, Syria, Cuba, Venezuela, or Sudan; three more years to trash the Bill of Rights at home and destroy all respect for the United States abroad; three more years to enrich the rich, impoverish the middle class and poor, undermine the U.S. economy and burden future generations of Americans with burdens they cannot bear.

Our impeachment ad in the New York Times on January 27, 2006 shows we can make a difference. It generated tens of thousands of new votes for impeachment. The New York Times carried the Impeachment message in the first section, full page, to readers of more than a million copies of the National Edition and the New York Edition of the New York Times. More newspaper ads, more votes for Impeachment, more organizing and fundraising can make Impeachment a major issue in the 2006 midterm Congressional elections. A committed effort over the next month scan move Impeachment to the forefront in the elections and to the floor of the House of Representatives which has the "sole power of Impeachment," and onto the Senate for trial.

Ads in newspapers in Congressional Districts can help activate impeachment organizing to bring the issue home to members and candidates where their election will be decided. Only Impeachment will warn the next Presidents that the American people will hold them accountable if they lawlessly lead us into wars, aggression and criminal acts to control foreign government and exploit their peoples. Only Impeachment will assure governments and peoples around the world that the American people understand what their government has done, that the American people are strong and good, and have impeached and removed their lawless leaders from office for violating all the principles America has always espoused, and that We The People of theUnited States will remain vigilant and see to it that the government of the United States will hereafter seek peace, friendship, equality of nations and peoples, and respect for the human dignity of every child, woman, and man on Earth.

I urge you to enlist now in the Impeachment Movement for the duration, to organize your community in the struggle and to raise and contribute funds essential to secure the Impeachment of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Alberto Gonzales and other civil officers found to have committed High Crimes and Misdemeanors. Click here to make a donation for the mass advertising campaign to place the NYT impeachment ad in other newspapers and support the campaign for impeachment: http://www.impeachbush.org/site/R?i=kCvDyuKYadGX47_kMAI-Ag

No comments: