Monday, March 06, 2006

PERSONAL NEWS #86
On Wednesday evening, February 15th, I was at my local Keyfood doing grocery shopping. While in the process of checking out a rather messy, unpleasant experience happened. [Incident was quickly handled by store management to everyone's satisfaction.] What transpired was this - I'm standing at the cash register in the process of checking out my purchases. I hear this small POP sound and then showering down my whole left side I'm splattered with beer. [I'm wearing my good alpaca wool scarf, long black wool coat and grey pantsuit.] It even got on my hair and face, plus sprayed across two aisles. It was so gross. I let out abit of a yelp and stood there abit mortified, or stunned depending on ones point of view. One of the cashiers ran over with paper towels, while the cashier behind me apologized profusely. Apparently this sort of thing has happened before - to other customers and cashiers. As I toweled myself dry the beer was cleaned up off the floor and I paid for my groceries. [Another cashier bagged them for me and put them in my cart.] The store manager was so kind to me; he took my name/info and promised that Keyfood would pay for the dry cleaning bill. [Which they did a week later when I brought in the receipt.] When I arrived home I washed up, took the soiled items off and will deliver them to the cleaners in the morning.

Thursday, February 16th, was the monthly NYC Chapter Dept of Peace Core Team meeting held in an office at the Empire State building. This was my first meeting at this new location ... since I missed the January meeting due to nasty illness. The allotted space was rather nice, but sadly not large enough to hold our growing "core team". Those that attended the meeting were: Olusoji, Marianne, Joe, Chris, Laura, Kevin, Carol, Liz, Karen, Marni, Priscilla, Eileen, Charlene, Norma, Carly, David and our moderator that evening was Coco. Our special guest was Dot Maver from The Peace Alliance. She spoke about numerous exciting topics, plus different events and fascinating projects slated for 2006. It’s going to be a terrific year for those of us involved with the Dept of Peace campaign.

Joe and Karen brought yummy goodies for all to nosh on. Unfortunately, halfway thru the meeting, I had one of my Bronchitis coughing fits and made for the kitchen for 5 minutes. Couldn't go to the ladies room, as its located two floors down, while the one on our floor is being renovated. Doh! Overall, it was a terrific meeting and felt so good to be back in the groove. I even got to "toot my horn" in announcing my involvement regarding Congresswoman Velasquez co-sponsoring the DoP bill. Yippee!

Friday evening, February 17th, I hung out at my friend Larry’s place in Manhattan. We went to a terrific Chinese restaurant on 9th Avenue for a light dinner. Afterwards, back at his place, Larry took care of my 2005 taxes using Turbo Tax. You’re probably thinking "hey girl it’s so easy", but believe me, I'm soooo not savvy on this yearly tax stuff. I know I'd screw up if left to my own devices. Hey, best to be honest, yah know. Well, to make a long story short, I owe money to greedy corrupt Uncle Sam and receiving a decent refund from NY State. Oh yeah, that idiot Pataki doesn't need it.

Saturday, February 18th, was movie night at Linda's place. She picked me up around 6:45pm and we drove to her neighborhood for Chinese take-out, then over to CVS for snacks. Sadly, Phyllis and Cielito couldn't join us that evening, as they had prior commitments. While Linda prepped some things I played with her dog Sweetie and watched abit of cable TV. [Some movie about the life of Josephine Baker.] We finally settled down to eat dinner, drink wine and watch episodes of the 1970s TV show SOAP on DVD. Oh my gosh! I haven't seen this series since the 1970s and forgot how funny it is. Linda and I were laughing our asses off during parts of it. And to think that several of the topics were semi-taboo then and now one doesn't bat an eyelash. Times have changed in 25 to 30 years and not always for the better.

No comments: