Tuesday, June 05, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS #122
On Sunday, April 1st, I headed up to CT to visit my good friend Katherine. Took the Metro North train to Stratford station were Katherine picked me up and we drove to a very nice Red Lobster in Bridgeport. I was treating my good friend to lunch for her birthday. We’ve been going to Red Lobster every year since 1990 and it’s become tradition. We spent a nice, leisurely meal noshing on some good seafood and catching up on news/gossip. From there we went shopping at several stores looking for crafts, beads and fabric. Then we drove to South Norwalk to see the work being done on her old house. Her youngest daughter had been living there with a boyfriend and his mother. From the before pix, lets just say they darn near ruined the place. Since evicting them the long haul to renovation has taken awhile and several borrowed funds. The results, from what I could tell, are coming along really well and they hope to have it on the market this summer. Hope they get a good sale, because they sure could use the funds.

Wednesday evening, April 4th, I attended the monthly DFNYC meetup in Brooklyn. Josh was hosting and we had a nice turnout at Ozzies. Major topics of lengthy discussion were ways to become more energy efficient in our homes, office and environment. Such as:

Use compact fluorescent bulbs
Change the AC filter
Buy products locally
Use recycled paper
Buy organic food
Bring cloth bags to the market
Reduce garbage
Insulate your home
Plant a tree
Replace old appliances
Switch to double pane windows
Insulate your water heater
Inflate your tires
Buy a fuel efficient car
Use a push mower

Spent Easter weekend [April 6th thru 8th] with my parents in upstate NY, as well as my brother and his wife. Had a busy agenda for those 48 hours and before I knew it I was back on the bus for NYC.

After work on Thursday, April 12th, I volunteered with City Harvest to help with prep work for their next fundraiser. We were busy sticking special labels on small paper bags, talking about numerous topics and noshing on food provided by City Harvest. Volunteers ranged from 20 years olds to folk in their 60s … it was an interesting evening. We’re all there for a good cause and yah never know who you’ll meet.

Latest Interesting News on Congressman Kucinich – These are from the “Dennis Kucinich for President in 2008” MySpace website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtX5jSW3yhE
Press conference with Rep. Dennis Kucinich, IPS Fellow Antonia Juhasz, and Denise Lombard from US Labor Against the War concerning the consequences of the privatization of Iraqi oil. The event was held as the House approved the supplemental Iraq war funding bill. This took place on May 24, 2007.

Dennis Kucinich on Bay News 9 @ 630PM on June 3rd
http://www.baynews9.com/BayNews9OnDemand.html

Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich's POST-debate interview right AFTER the Democratic Pres. Debate on Apr. 26, 2007. Elizabeth is introduced. It is noted by many people that Dennis speeches are ON FIRE when she is sitting within his eyeshot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWWgYYW8dY

Dennis Kucinich Wows the NH Democratic Convention – Here are Some Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9yXaTPhts

Let's Get Dennis Kucinich's Numbers Way Up There!
At the moment, Dennis Kucinich is behind most of the other candidates on Facebook polls. He should be among the leaders among young voters, so please spread the word for those on Facebook to vote for Dennis at: http://www.voteonthebook.com/candidates/view/Dennis_Kucinich OR http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2360172394

MORE PERSONAL NEWS
Saturday, April 14th, I attended a 3-hour [10am – 1pm] bead jewelry workshop at Fun2Bead in Manhattan. Due to last minute cancellations in the past month or so, I finally got to attend one of these workshops. So annoying when one arrives at the shop to learn the class has been cancelled. Twice this happened and their policy says they are to phone the attendees. I never received any phone calls. Twice I had “words” with the store manager. Not the way to treat a regular customer. The workshop is held in the basement of the bead shop on 6th Avenue and they usually teach 8 to 10 people at a time. My only gripe about the class was the choice of beads given to us to work with and definitely not my preference. I was there for the sole purpose of learning how to create a bracelet and necklace. [See photo below] During the three hours we ladies had a fun time and learned new techniques, which I’ve been utilizing since this class. Afterwards I met a fellow co-worker [Gloria] upstairs in the bead shop and we talked about beading. We’re both thinking of experimenting with “memory bracelets”. Gloria’s taken advanced classes and I’ve seen her necklaces … they are lovely and unique. She was taking the afternoon workshop on wire technique at 2pm. I also purchased products that I’d need to make necklaces. As I was heading for the Starbucks and the subway, I decided to take a shortcut through Bryant Park. I didn’t get far into the park, when part of the walkway decided to take a bite out of my sneaker and fling me to the ground. OUCH! Darn! My bags and sunglasses went flying to the ground as I used my hands to brace for the fall. Ouch! Next thing I know two men ran over from a park bench to help me to my feet and ask if I was okay. For the most part I felt okay, just shaken up and thankfully nothing was broken. I knew I’d be sore and bruised within 24 hours. I conveyed my appreciation to the two men and walked slowly out of the park. Never did go to Starbucks, but instead got a sandwich from Cosi and then headed home. Thankfully no bleeding, took a Tylenol and after a manicure appt, I went back home to lie down [delayed shock] with an ice pack on my left knee. Recovery took over a month [plus several ice packs] for my knee to fully heal and all the bruises to fade away.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday evening, April 16th, I attended the Brooklyn Peace Circle at Mary’s home in Park Slope. Gili, Mary, Joyce and Mary’s roommate were the other attendees. It was great seeing everyone and participating in the Peace Circle. It’s always a calm, reflective, joyful experience. I learned this is the last Peace Circle and this news greatly saddened me. We did talk about possibly starting it up again several months down the road, conversing via Yahoo Group and utilizing different apartment locations. I sure hope so, as I really enjoyed these Peace Circle evenings.

On Thursday evening, April 19th, I attended both NYDoP meetings [ie: Board & Core Team]. The board meeting was an hour long and we only got 3/4s of the agenda accomplished. We’re slowly making progress on certain topics and issues. Also, we’ll soon be a non-profit organization and all it entails. The second meeting, which was our monthly Core Team, hosted a congenial, intelligent, handsome guest speaker [Yonatan Shapira - Captain in the Israeli Air Force reserves and is also a Military refuser [http://www.combatantsforpeace.org/] and acquaintance of Marianne [ie: board member]. We had a nice turnout of Core Team members and what Yonatan had to convey intrigued and moved us all. It was a terrific, productive evening.

US Government Should Stop Faking Terror Attacks
Schuyler Thorpe, Author & Political Activist
http://politicalwhispers.blogspot.com/2007/06/us-government-should-stop-faking-terror.html

Caging Voters-Karl Rove's Felony In The 2004 Election Special
Greg Palast, BradBlog
http://www.coastalpost.com/07/06/03.html

War Veteran Lapping Capitol Building 3,400 Times
CBS31 Local News
http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_149190038.html

No comments: