Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Kucinich: Texting for Peace
Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2007/07/kucinich_textin.html
It's great for teenage conversations and "American Idol" voting, but can text messaging change the world? Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich, a strong opponent of the Iraq war, is calling on the public to join in an antiwar mobilization via mobile phone, and he boldly declares it "the first time text messaging has been used to try and change American policy." How? Kucinich is asking voters to send the word "peace" to the number 73223 -- which, if you look carefully, spells out "p-e-a-c-e" on the dial pad. The Ohio congressman's campaign says it will compile the results, and then send the messages to President Bush and the Pentagon.

Slap a Yellow Ribbon on My SUV, a song parody
April 2005 / Posted on DailyKOS
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/4/14/134645/291

I finally got so irritated with all those damned yellow ribbons that purport to display support for our troops, that I wrote a parody about the phenomenon. Of course, I had to use a song that was as irritating as the yellow ribbons themselves, and Tony Orlando naturally came to mind:

Slap a Yellow Ribbon on My SUV
(Sung to the tune of "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree," performed by Tony Orlando and Dawn)

I never served, didn't have the time
My priorities were elsewhere in my prime
But now I've gotten older
And more patriotic, too
And though I'll never fight a war
There's something I can do
There's something I can do

I'll slap a yellow ribbon
On my SUV
I support our troops
Aren't you proud of me?
'Cuz when I slap that ribbon
On my SUV
I'll take it to town, drive all around
A patriot - that's me!
Oh, when I slap that yellow ribbon
On my SUV

My son has just turned twenty-four
But there's no need for him to fight this war
They will not bring the draft back
At least that's what Dubya said
But if they did I'd hide my kid so he won't end up dead
Take someone else instead

I'll slap a yellow ribbon
On my SUV
I support our troops
Aren't you proud of me?
'Cuz when I slap that ribbon
On my SUV

I'll show that I back our troops in Iraq
It's so plain to see
Oh, when I slap that yellow ribbon
On my SUV

Now if a ribbon seems to be
Not enough, then you will see...
A hundred yellow ribbons
On my SUV
Slap a ribbon on my SUV
Slap a ribbon on my SUV
Slap a ribbon on my SUV
Slap a ribbon on my SUV

[Duchess Note: My fellow Kucitizen, Linda Z from TX, sent the following regarding last evenings Democrat Presidential debate on YouTube … The last question was look to the candidate on your LEFT and say what you like and what you don't like about him (or her). Dennis Kucinich was on the end with no one to his LEFT. He said it is interesting that CNN should put me on the end with no one to my LEFT. They couldn't find anyone to the LEFT of me. There is no one to the LEFT of me on Getting out of Iraq, Healthcare and the WTO. And then he said I would like to say something about Mike Gravel. Isn't he courageous for exposing the Pentagon Papers and the truth about Viet Nam … I say bravo Congressman Kucinich! The lies Clinton keeps on uttering is nauseating, to say the least, and last evening was no different. She is NOT a progressive nor is the bitch a liberal. She doesn’t even come close!! Grrrrrrrr]

Points to Richardson, Kucinich, Gravel YouTubers
John Nickols, The Nations
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20070724/cm_thenation/45216923

Commentary: Rating the YouTube/CNN Debaters
The Albuquerque Tribune
http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jul/24/rating-debaters/

[Duchess Note: Many thanks to Linda in TX for the above articles. Kucinich is shining through in these debates as one of the most compassionate, intelligent, thoughtful, sincere and hardworking people in DC. I have to admit that Richardson isn’t that bad, but when it comes to the primaries, this lady will be voting strictly for Kucinich and no one else.]

Sean Bean a Double Don Valley Don
BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/south_yorkshire/6907858.stm

Video of Sean Bean Receiving his Degree
http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?tab=av&q=%20%22Sean%20Bean%20%22&recipe=all&scope=all&edition=d

No comments: