Friday, July 27, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS #125
On Thursday, May 17th, I attended the monthly NYDoP Core Team meeting. A new Core Team member joins our gathering and it was great having Lori there. The main topics that we discussed were on the recent “Peace Wants a Piece of the Pie” campaign and also “Strategy Work”. It was announced that 10 Core Team members in NYC, plus parts of NY State were involved with the “Piece of the Pie” campaign. In #124 Personal News I related my experience with regards to this campaign. Unfortunately, three members of our Core Team were not able to access the senate offices of Schumer and Clinton. I had a feeling it would be so for the latter and was surprised to hear it was the case regarding Schumer. Those of us who visited congressional office had no trouble at all. Meeting was held at a new, though a temporary location on 34th Street. Overall it was a productive meeting and several of us brought homemade goodies to share with others.

On Saturday, May 19th, I headed up to Westchester County for my Uncle Ralph’s funeral and memorial service. Actually, Uncle Ralph passed away in February, and his ashes were buried in a grave next to his wife [Ada]. Ralph was my late grandmother’s [Florence] younger brother. Florence is Dad’s mother and she passed away in 1995. Due to delays with Metro North, I missed my connecting train in Stamford for New Canaan, CT. Naturally I was upset about this [lodged a complaint with station manager], as my cousin Judy [Ralph’s oldest daughter] was waiting for me. Since I don’t have a cellphone, I utilized a pay phone and did a few collect calls to my Mom. Poor dear, she was put on the spot in getting through to Judy’s hubby Wayne. Happy to say that all was worked out [thanks Mom] and friends [lovely folk] of Judy picked me up in Stamford. While waiting for my ride I stood outside in the overcast, wet, chilly weather. It sure didn’t feel like spring. We arrived at the cemetery in time for the memorial service. Some of my relatives and friends from Pound Ridge days I hadn’t seen in almost 10 years. [We exchanged many hugs and conveyed warm greetings. First time seeing my Aunt Nan since her mastectomy and I gave her a warm hug. Glad to see her in good spirits.] Weddings and funerals always bring together family and friends, even though it’s brief. The service itself was beautiful, sweet and so moving. Only time I got weepy was when laying a flower on Ralph’s grave and conveying an emotional goodbye. Even thinking about it now, as I type this, brings a tear to my eyes. From my memories of Uncle Ralph, growing up in Pound Ridge; was of a good, kind and thoughtful man.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Photo of my great grandmother, Bessie Carmen & her son, my Uncle Art around 1910]

After the ceremony we all drove over to the firehouse in Pound Ridge for food and conversation. Over the course of 2 hours I talked with some relatives and friends, look at family photos, plus eat some good food provided by Scotts Corners market. [For two years in the late 1970s I’d worked there in Meat & Deli Depts.] After most people left and all was cleaned up, I went back to my Cousin Judy’s home in Pound Ridge to hangout for awhile. Judy’s hubby Wayne was there, along with their daughter Wendy and her hubby and adorable little girl. I was given a tour of their home, as I’d never been there before and the terrific back porch with view of wooded area. We sat down with tea to talk and look over more photos for two nice, relaxing hours. Before Judy drove me to the New Canaan train station, we stopped by the garage to chat with Wayne Jr. He’s really into motorbikes and racing them. He has many trophies to show for it. Driving through the back roads of Pound Ridge, we passed by [what used to be] my great grandparents home for many decades. Got to the train station in plenty of time, so we talked about things and I again thanked Judy for the loan of some ole family photos. One of which you see above of my paternal great grandmother. My memories of her growing up were of a nice old woman who passed away in the early 1980s. I didn’t know her that well and wish I had spent more time with her.

Monday, May 21st, I had lunch with my good friend Tom who was visiting from CA for 1 ½ weeks. We were supposed to meet up for lunch or dinner back around September 2001, but then 9/11 happened, and he drove back to CA. Before that I last saw Tom around 1993/1994 on one of his visits to NY. Yeah, it’s been awhile and we’ve been friends since mid-1970s. Met up in front of my office building and strolled over to a nice Italian place for a leisurely, chatty lunch. [We usually stay in touch via phone or email.] Tom’s partner, Ron, flew back to CA that morning. Back at the office I showed him around my department and introduced him to a few co-workers. Then he was off to catch a train at Grand Central Station to see relatives in Westchester County.

No comments: