Tuesday, October 16, 2007

McKellen Would Do Hobbit
©2007, SCI FI. All rights reserved
Ian McKellen, who is wrapping up the American leg of his world tour in King Lear, told the Reuters news service that he wouldn't mind reprising the role of Gandalf in the proposed The Hobbit, should it happen. Relations between New Line Cinema and Lord of the Rings helmer Peter Jackson have been thawing, opening the door for Jackson to direct the prequel film, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's book. McKellen told Reuters that he was rooting for Jackson to direct The Hobbit but said he had the Oscar-winning director's blessing to play Gandalf one way or the other. "When Peter announced he had withdrawn from The Hobbit, he sent me an e-mail saying 'Because I am not going to do it, it doesn't mean you have to do the same,'" McKellen said. "'Of course, you must play Gandalf whether I direct or not.'" McKellen added: "I am glad to read that it is looking more and more likely. ... I would be disappointed if they didn't want to have the original Gandalf. I suppose if I am still functioning and working well, it is very likely I would be asked to do it, and if I were, I would be very pleased to do it."
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf the White in ROTK - Photo by New Line Production]

No comments: