Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS #129

NOTE: Due to a busy summer with many projects on the front and back burner, plus doing my 9 to 5 office job, I’ve sadly neglected updating “Personal News” on a regular basis. My sincere apologies to regular viewers of the Duchess Blog. The following is a condensed version. Going forward I’ll work on being more frequent with updates. And now on with the news………………

On Saturday, July 21st, my friend Cielito and I did some tabling in Park Slope area for DoP and Share International. Weather was sunny and abit windy, plus I was having sinus issues. That evening we were invited to Thomas & Phoebe’s place for “movie nite”. Phoebe and Thomas treated us to freshly made lemonade, popcorn and watched a bizarre film called “Tideland” by Terry Gilliam.

Next day, July 22nd, I went to see the latest Harry Potter movie [Order of the Phoenix] at a cinema in Carroll Gardens [Brooklyn]. Very much enjoyed the film and most of the visuals were great. Only exception, I felt, being that of Grawp and the Centaurs. The actresses who played Umbridge and Bellatrix were brilliant. I’m still reading book seven, which I’d purchased late Friday evening.

On Tuesday, July 24th, I joined other NYDoP board members for our monthly meeting and this time it was held in Bryant Park. We had much to discuss, especially with the CHOOSE PEACE Benefit Concert coming up in early September. Upon arriving at home, after noshing on a lite dinner, I pretty much sat on the sofa until 12:30am to finish reading “Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows”. The last quarter of the book is like a roller coaster ride and Rowling ties up many loose ends. In the days and weeks that followed, I talked about the book with friends who also love the series. Many of us cried during chapter 34 and also when Dobby died. Personally, I was satisfied with the ending of the book, and felt that Rowling did a brilliant job. Let’s hope that the movie version does justice to it.

Saturday, July 28th, was “movie night” at my place and my friend Jackie joined me. We noshed on chips, cranberry juice, healthy green salad and ice cream. We watched “The Day After Tomorrow” with Dennis Quaid and “Sense & Sensibility” with Emma Thompson.

Thursday, August 2nd, was the monthly NYC Kucinich presidential campaign meetup at Bonobo’s. Attendance was up abit from previous month. Topics of discussion were on tabling, new Meetup locations, media, blogs, debates, petitioning and handing out campaign materials.

Friday evening, August 3rd, I attended Dawn and Bill’s wedding reception at the Flute Bar with my date [Phil]. Dawn is also a board member [like me] of NYDoP and she invited several of us to join in the festivities. As for Phil, well, we’d been corresponding for awhile via Yahoo Personals and this was our first date. Yeah, I know, not exactly appropriate for a first date, but he seemed game to give it a go. After the reception, which was champagne and nibblers, we went out to dinner at a nice Thai place on Westside. I enjoyed Phil’s company [very funny & entertaining], but knew it wouldn’t result in a second date. A lady can sense these things.

Saturday, August 4th, I was invited to my friend Linda’s home for “movie night”. We noshed on cantaloupe, lemonade and healthy green salad. We watched the 2006 remake of “The Pink Panther” and “Batman Begins”. Both were very good films and I highly recommend them.

On Thursday afternoon, August 9th, I attended a NY Mets baseball game at Shea Stadium with staff from my EY department. We all had a fun time and our seats were facing third base. Sadly the Mets did not play brilliantly and lost to the Atlanta Braves.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Photo: Duchess with EY Team at Mets baseball game]

Saturday, August 11th, was my FLHS Class of 1977 30th Reunion. See review posted on Friday, August 24th, on Duchess Blog for more details.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Photo by Eric Gilmore: Fox Lane Reunion Committee – Ed, Nancie & Duchess]

Thursday, August 16th, I joined other NYDoP Core Team members for our monthly meeting. This evening we were provided musical entertainment by Cecilia St King and Vincenza Dante. They sang several peace and folk related songs, as well as wanting to lend their support to NYDoP. Not many Core Team members showed up, which was sad, as they missed a delightful evening. After the musical entertainment we conducted our meeting; which was mostly on CHOOSE PEACE Benefit Concert and the upcoming Peace Draft Bar Party.

On Saturday, August 18th, I headed down to Monroe Township [via one-hour bus ride from Port Authority] and visit my friend Sheila. Hadn’t seen her since December, when we check out holiday craft fairs in midtown Manhattan. Plus, I got to see Sheila’s lovely condo with pretty views from her balcony. We drove over to Princeton University and spent several delightful hours touring the campus and the town. I highly recommend folk make a day visit from Manhattan to see this campus town. It’s well worth it. One of my first jobs in NYC was briefly working for the manager of the Princeton Club. Ever since then I’ve always wanted to visit the university. A memorable moment, from my days working at Princeton Club, was seeing Jackie Kennedy Onassis in the lounge area.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Photo: Duchess visiting Princeton University campus]

Thursday evening, August 23rd, I joined my friend Linda and some of her roommates in going to see a baseball game out in Coney Island. Well, we were suppose to see the NY Cyclones play, but due to continuous fog the game was cancelled after 2 ½ hours. Instead, we were entertained with actors from Medieval Faire. That was okay, but we all really wanted to see a ballgame. The stadium is actually quite nice, tickets are reasonably priced and there really isn’t a bad seat in the place.

Friday, August 24th, did volunteer work for City Harvest at the Union Square farmers market.

On Tuesday, August 28th, I attended the monthly NYDoP board meeting and it was again held in Bryant Park. Our main focus, with little over a week away, was on the final planning stages for CHOOSE PEACE Benefit Concert on Sept 7th. Very productive meeting and everyone went away with “assignments” leading up to the concert.

[Duchess Note: More PERSONAL NEWS to follow shortly. Stay tuned. . . ]

NEWS FROM CONGRESS REGARDING KUCINICH

Kucinich Challenges Democratic Leadership to Force Showdown with President Over War Funding
EarthTimes.org
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,195960.shtml

Only One Congress Member Gets It
David Swanson, American Chronicle
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=39961

Dems Press on for SCHIP Veto Override
Sabrina Eaton, Cleveland.com
http://blog.cleveland.com/openers/2007/10/dems_press_on_for_schip_veto_o.html

[Duchess Note: Many thanks to Linda in TX who shares such great articles.]

MESSAGE FROM THE KUCINICH FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008 CAMPAIGN TEAM
We'd like to invite you to watch our first "Newsroom Broadcast". Our campaign has developed a new way of updating you on Dennis and Elizabeth's presidential campaign activities. We have produced our own news report. We'd like to invite you to watch our first "Newsroom Broadcast" at:

http://echo4.bluehornet.com/ct/2054136:1969779657:m:3:155700169:F9C92C529EEEA351BFA626405FBC7E20

Besides, keeping you informed about the latest events, this also is a link you can send to your friends showing them why Dennis is the candidate to support.

4 comments:

Let Them Eat Vinyl said...

You looked great at your reunion Char! :)

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the compliment MF! Despite the hairbrush incident, I managed to clean up and get my glam on. Will send you a funny pix of me from the reunion. Apparently I'm noted for my "facial" expressions. :-)

Let Them Eat Vinyl said...

lol, thanks for the extra pics. Very funny indeed. Glad you can laugh at the experience.

Charlene said...

Yeah, there were a few "funny" pix, and its good to laugh at oneself now and then. If one didn't, well, the tears would just spring to life. Can't have that!