Thursday, April 03, 2008

Going Dark Every Night - Staying Dark - GREEN HOUR! [Message below from Andrew Bayuk at MySpace.com]

On Saturday, March 29th, 2008 a whole lot of people around the world turned off their lights (and some their electricity) for one hour from 8 PM to 9PM local time. I participated in this because I thought it seemed like a cool idea. It was billed as, "Going Dark".

Sitting there with the lights off and in silence I began to think of the impact of this gesture. I realized that this would cut the oil consumption on a huge scale with such a small personal sacrifice. I realized that with a little organization people can make a bigger difference to our massive energy problems by doing relatively little things.

Then I started to think about Iraq. It has always been my opinion that attacking Iraq was a huge mistake, predicated on a lie for the real purpose of securing oil supplies, and also for some companies to disproportionately profit from the ravages of war (ie: no bid contracts).

And we’re constantly told by our administration, for which I have NO trust and LESS respect, that the Iraqis are better off today than before the war. In addition to the fact that the typical safety level of the average Iraqi citizen is very LOW, that their unemployment levels are astronomical, these people have only an AVERAGE OF ONE HOUR OF WORKING ELECTRICITY EACH AND EVERY DAY!!

Am I the only one who finds this outrageous and unacceptable?? I think not! So, I have derived that the idea of continuing to go dark, a "Green Hour", EVERY NIGHT, from 8 PM to 9 PM local time would serve several purposes:

* It will reduce oil consumption. The more people that do it, the more oil will be conserved.
* Because they keep telling us that the rising price of oil is in part due to supply and demand, it would ultimately bring down the price of gas and heating oil if enough people participate.
* It will help the environment and help to slow global warming.
* It will allow people to sit and think, or if they have families to have a solid hour together EVERY DAY without personal distractions or the distractions of modern "necessities" such as TV, video games, computers, phones, CELL PHONES, etc. This is prime time for family to read, sing, play games, talk, or get the little ones ready for bed with a calm and peaceful atmosphere. Hmmm, imagine that....
* It will make a statement that it is unacceptable that the Iraqi people only have one hour of electricity turned ON each day.
* Of course, this will reduce my electric bill which will return more money to my family to use for better reasons, in effect, it is good to stimulate the current economy on an ongoing basis, as opposed to a token and inadequate handout by our government which will make no real long term difference, and oh yes, by the way, WILL BE TAXED ON NEXT YEARS RETURN!

So, I am going to do it. I am going dark every night for the time being, and I invite people who care about these things to join me for GREEN HOUR! It will take commitment, but really not much, some courage and some personal inconvenience, but I think it will be worth it.


PERSONAL NEWS #139

[Duchess Note … I know, I know, it’s been awhile since my last full update on personal news. Sincere apologies to my faithful readers and the following is a condensed version of updates. Enjoy!]

Thursday evening, February 7th, I joined a few other NYDoP Core Team members [ie: Chris, Adriana & Joe] to table at the Marianne Williamson lecture in midtown Manhattan. Originally I wasn’t going to go, but changed my mind at last minute and so glad I did. Marianne’s lecture, or talk, was mostly about the “new midlife” and issues we deal with when we reach a certain age. I thought it one of her best lectures and really struck a cord within me, as I’ve been dealing with some issues lately on several levels. Her lecture moved me so much that I purchased her latest book … “The Age of Miracles – Embracing the New Midlife”. As I type this “update” I’m almost done with the book and I highly recommend it. She talked about forgiveness, enlightenment, spirituality, rebirth and healing. One of her comments that stuck with me was … “Forgiveness involves faith in a love that’s greater than hatred and a willingness to see the light in someone’s soul even when their personality has harbored darkness”. That statement made me think of some former friends. Marianne’s main message that evening was “midlife is not the end, but the beginning of a wonderful journey and many new experiences”. I t was great hanging out with some NYDoP folk, speaking with Marianne and absorbing the whole experience.

Sunday afternoon, February 10th, I was invited over to a fellow NYC Kucitizens [Devery] home for knitting lessons. Devery lives not far from my abode in northern Brooklyn and it was a delightful afternoon. Devery’s friend Livia joined us and I taught them the basics of crocheting. Afterwards I hung out for a bit with Devery and her hubby Clay. They are such cool, groovy folk.

On Sunday, February 17th, I visited my friend Larry who does a wonderful job taking care of my taxes every year. Afterwards I stopped by my office to make copies to the tax items and then headed to the upper Eastside to hangout with Veronica [NYC Kucitizen]. Sat around catching up on news/gossip [we’re Harry Potter fans], eating apple turnovers and went out afterwards to stroll around her neighborhood. The area she lives in is near Gracie Mansion, thrift shops, cafes, bakeries, etc.

On Thursday evening, February 21st, the NYDoP had their monthly board/core team meeting. Small turnout this month [Joe, Dawn and I], plus we couldn’t unlock the door to the meeting space and decided to adjourn to Heartland Brewery down the street.

The following evening, February 22nd, I had a one-hour free health consultation with Eve Rosenberg [“One Body One Life], whom I’d met at the Feb 7th Marianne Williamson event. Interesting consultation and enlightening, but the subsequent six month sessions would have been abit pricey. Will pass for now and consider it at a later date.

Friday evening after work, February 29th, I met up with my friend Cielito at WholeFoods down at Union Square. My first time in this branch of WholeFoods and there is a cafĂ© on the second floor. I noshed on a delicious almond crunch Gelato, while Cielito had sushi. We caught up on events/gossip and I related the news about that “health consultation” I’d had the week before. She’s into Isagenix and told me about the products and business. I was greatly intrigued and said I’d host one of her presentations at my abode. We set a date for end of March on a Saturday. Overall an enjoyable evening.

No comments: