Thursday, July 17, 2008

PERSONAL NEWS #146
Friday, June 27th, I had a date with this chap [Juan] I met via MySpace. The date, which took place at a bar/cafe on the eastside, was nice and enjoyable. I have to admit that some of his comments, during our conversation, were definitely abit odd. I’ve never ever had a man tell me on a first date that he is homophobic. He didn’t elaborate on it and I didn’t press for clarification. Days after our date his subsequent emails were of a nature were I felt it wasn’t advisable to continue seeing him.

Sunday, June 29th, I went to the movies and out to dinner with my friend Jackie. We went to see WALL-E at the cinema, and had dinner at a local Polish restaurant in the East Village. Here is my brief review of the film WALL-E … “It’s such a terrific film and Pixar has done it again. Wasn't really a fan of ET or Short Circuit, but I adore WALL-E. Plus the film conveys messages about mankind, consumerism, technology and humanity. Don't just go for the cute, lonely robot who'll steal your heart. Go and absorb the subtle messages. We need to save our planet; whether it's the environment, mankind or animals. Push greed aside and be peace”.

Tuesday, July 1st, was the EY Insurance Tax team sailboat outing around the NYC harbor. There were about 15 to 20 of us enjoying 4 hours on the Adirondack [schooner], which left Chelsea Piers at 11am and brought us back at 3pm. [Note: All photos by Dee and Juan.]

Ins Tax Team Relaxing

Even with sunscreen I still got abit sun burnt on my nose and shoulders, as did several other co-workers. Despite that we ALL had a grand time and enjoyed some tasty nibblers, dessert, plus assorted drinks, like champagne. Yum!
Food!

The excursion took us past lower Manhattan, parts of New Jersey/Brooklyn/Staten Island, Statue of Liberty, Governors Island, and even under the impressive Verrazano Bridge.
Views of Manhattan

There were a variety of boats in the harbor and even the Caribbean Princess cruise ship at a pier in Red Hook [Brooklyn]. This was my second time on the Adirondack and I loved it just as much as the first time in September 2006.
Adirondack Crew
After we docked, we went into Chelsea Piers to a bar for one more drink before heading back to our office.

July 4th through 7th … visited my family in upstate New York for the holiday weekend. On Saturday afternoon we were invited to a friend’s 60th birthday party and cookout. Many at this event I hadn’t seen in years and it was lovely catching up with them on news. Rode my bicycle several times during the holiday weekend, one of which was into town to do errands and purchase a metal basket for my bike. Got to watch some cable TV, relax on the screened in porch, reading, knitting, tag sales, yard work, Sunday brunch at the Legion, make S’mores by the fire pit and do some watercolor painting. Overall a nice, low key weekend.

On Thursday, July 10th, I attended the annual EY FSO all-day summer outing. Those of us who do not have a car had to take a free chartered bus from our office building around 8:30am to the Platzl Brauhaus in Pomona, NY, which isn’t far from the western side of Tappan Zee bridge. EY FSO utilized this place last year and took over pavilion seven. I noticed that this year not as many employees attended. It seemed like we had abit more fun last year, as more folk from my department attended. Several of my department co-workers brought their wives, husbands and children. My co-worker [Dee] and I played miniature golf again, and must admit we had fun with it, but were not the best players on the lot. [Smiling] Food was okay and more like campsite/carnival nibblers. I did try some of the kosher BBQ chicken and that was quite tasty.
Me & Ford Truck

We checked out the Platzl Brauhaus gift shop, admired an early 20th century flatbed Ford truck, create some spin art, check out the ponies and sat by the swimming pool. Just like last year, neither Dee nor I won anything during the raffle. The chartered buses left shortly after 4:30pm and it took us almost 2 hours to get back to NYC.

Next evening, July 11th, I participated with other City Harvest volunteers at the Union Square farmers market.

Tuesday, July 15th, I participated in the monthly NYDoP Board & Core Team meeting at our new location. Not many members showed up for the meeting; but despite that we still had a good, productive and enjoyable meeting. Our planned Inwood Retreat has been rescheduled to September.

[Duchess Note – Will post a separate review on Pearl Jam concerts at MSG, plus hanging out with my friends from Canada week of June 22nd. Stay tuned…………….]

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPETELY DIFFERENT – LIBERAL NEWS

McKinney & Clemente: Black, Brown, Green and True
Glen Ford, Black Agenda Report
http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=698&Itemid=1

Bob Barr’s Online Dominance Slipping; McKinney, Baldwin on the Rise
Austin Cassidy, Independent Political Report
http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/07/bob-barrs-online-dominance-slipping-mckinney-baldwin-on-the-rise/

Who Owns Obama?
Pham Binh, Dissident Voice
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/07/who-owns-obama/

[Duchess Note – Many thanks to Linda and Carol for the above articles.]

No comments: