Thursday, January 07, 2010

Reflections on Midlife
[Part One]

As we step into a New Year and decade, as well as make resolutions, I did some serious reflection on being a woman in midlife. I took some time to analyze my current status from several perspectives; as well as weigh the pros and cons. I find it helpful, important and beneficial to my wellbeing in doing this every so often.

Since 2003 I’ve been continually striving to be a better, more compassionate, pro-active and peaceful person. Not always an easy task, as I find this to be a 24/7 learning curve, and one that I undertake willingly.

You may be wondering what could have brought this on. That’s a good question, as I even wondered about that myself. When I am doing the laundry, or just riding the subway on my evening commute, I reflected on a variety of things. Back in December several interesting “thoughts” ran through my head, and instead of ignoring them, I decided it would be wise to go with the flow.

The first was a message from Marianne Williamson’s book “The Age of Miracles – Embracing the New Midlife”, which I highly recommend to all who are “50 something” like me. Marianne’s main message was that “midlife is not the end, but the beginning of a wonderful journey and many new experiences”. This was followed by a comment I’d read in past two years, “Marianne is right about midlife, if you let it, middle age can be the beginning of a rich and meaning filled experiences”. I reflected on several key phrases within those comments:

1] Beginning of a wonderful journey
2] Many new experiences
3] If you let it
4] Rich and meaning filled

Over the years I’ve been learning more and more to “listen to my inner voice”, because there are times when “society” and our own “egos” can do us more harm than good. Excuses and denial only hurt us in the end, plus we can [at times] be our own worst enemy. If you let it, i.e. the ego to dictate, well then, you won’t get very far. If you let it, i.e. allowing life’s experiences to blossom, then you will go far and become enriched, as well as empowered. With gentle, but firm resolve listen to, as well as act upon, your true inner voice. Listen to it with an open mind and a loving heart.

Eleanor Roosevelt once saidNo one can make you feel inferior without your consent

No comments: