Tuesday, May 28, 2019


Charlene’s Eulogy for her Father

Good Afternoon!  Thank you all so much in being here today.  It means a lot, not only to myself, but also to my Mom and Duane, as well as the family.  I can just imagine Dad taking a break from bowling, drinking a cold beer, and BSing with his friends while gazing down upon this scene.  What would he be thinking?  Sentiments?  What the heck moment?  We can ponder on that later.

In the meantime, many thanks to all who sent Mom, Duane and I lovely sympathy cards.  They were all so deeply touching.  One of those sympathy cards, sent to me in late January, was from a Pound Ridge NY resident whom I reconnected with last year.  I would like to share Laurie Bathrick’s special note with you all.


Dear Charlene;

When Katherine told me of your Dad’s passing my eyes filled with tears.  He was such a fun-loving man, much the same as my Dad.  I remembered us racing around the back roads of Pound Ridge with your Dad at the wheel.  I guess he was always a Stock Car racer at heart.

As I think of him along with my Father and Katherine’s Grandpa, I realize that the men of his generation were a special breed.  Stronger, more outspoken, and just plain full of the devil.  Maybe it was growing up in the Depression and World War II that made them the men they were.  I know one thing for sure, we will miss them and they will live in us forever.

You will think of him often, and remember his words of advice, as I do with my Dad.  In time, this will be a great comfort to you, as it is to me now.  You are in my thoughts and prayers always.

Sincerely, Laurie


That warm, kind note is definitely worth keeping.  I shared the part about “stock car racer” with the Marshall family, who are here today.  The part that continues to resonate with me, is regarding “the men of his generation were a special breed”.  Those of you, here today, born during the Great Depression and World War II are, along with my father, one of a kind.

Peace be with you. . . . .

No comments: