Wednesday, May 29, 2019


Reflections on Day of my Father’s Funeral Services
Several days have passed since my father’s funeral services on Friday, May 24th, at the Gerald B.H. Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery.  Many speculative thoughts leading up to it, as well as the day itself, plus reflections since then.  Commit to setting it all down while still relatively fresh in my mind.

I must confess that leading up to that day, well, I had a several concerns and anxieties.  No need to go into elaborate detail regarding it all.  Suffice to say, I was anxious about conducting the eulogy with decorum, compassion, abit of humor and hopefully not too much emotion.  Regarding that last bit, yeah, it came striding in from left field.  BAM!  Overall, I was informed after that I did well, and helped along with some humor from my brother.

With Mom’s assistance, we pulled together an array of items to display at the American Legion related to my father.  This we accomplished on the afternoon of May 23rd.  The morning of the 24th, after not sleeping well during the night, we headed to the salon to be nicely coiffed.  [Thank you so much to Gail and Carrie.]  Afterwards, Mom and I enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Country Gals Café, then head home to attire ourselves in funeral outfits.  I wore a tasteful ensemble of navy Land’s End jacket, white blouse, and a navy skirt with a floral design.  Mom was nicely clothed in black with a white cardigan to keep her warm, as the weather was overcast and cool.

We picked up Sue Hohn and Sue Jacobson; whom I refer to as Mom’s step daughters, as they have been so supportive and helpful over the past few years.  We dropped off some food items at the American Legion. Then drove over to the Gerald B.H. Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery for the services.  Arrived at the cemetery entrance by 1pm and witnessed another funeral procession in progress.

The highlight for me, while waiting to start the funeral procession, was reconnecting with my cousin David, his wife Liv and my childhood friend Linda.  Reflecting upon it all brings a warm, happy glow inside.  While waiting for our “funeral procession” to begin around 2pm I spoke with Jim [funeral parlor director], Vinny [ordained minister], plus assorted relatives and friends.  Mom also had to fill out and sign necessary paperwork for the cemetery.  Delightful to see everyone, plus a good turnout that would of made my father happy.

After the funeral procession of vehicles, we congregated in the stone gazebo structure for the military services.  [On a side note; was I calm throughout the day, not really, just my usual high-spirited self  J ]  I assisted my brother Duane in placing our fathers Army dog tags with the urn.  The first segment was the “military services”, which were beautifully conducted by the Army, and quite emotional.  [I was impressed by the flag folding ceremony.]  My father served in the Army during the mid-1950s and stationed in Germany.  The second segment was the “religious services” conducted by Vinny Spiezio.  Nicely done and he got abit emotional twice.  After that, several of us followed the “urn” to the “wall” were it was interred, along with his dog tags.  Everyone else headed to the American Legion for food, drink, conversation, socializing and memorial segment.

On the drive back to the American Legion, we made a “pit stop” to utilize restrooms.  We arrived at the American Legion around 3:30pm along with my Uncle Bill and his wife Claire.  [They were staying with us for two days.]  Everyone was partaking of the potluck / buffet table, engaging in conversation and socializing.  Working with two others, I arranged the “display items” regarding my father, so that our guests could view it all.  Many photos, framed items, “Talk of the Town” interview, 80th birthday scrapbook and a booklet of his colorings.

After socializing abit, and nibbling on some food, Vinny and I gave our “eulogies” for my father.  The guests were great and well-received Vinny’s terrific eulogy.  We finally wrapped up the gathering around 5:30pm.  Hugs were exchanged during the partings, as well as thanking everyone deeply for attending.  Closure, regarding my father, was for the most part completed.  There is still the sprinkling of some ashes to be undertaken this summer in our ole hometown.  Rest in Peace. . . . . 

No comments: