Wednesday, June 11, 2003

My neighbors are always saying that car accidents happen alot at intersection near my apartment. In the 18 years of living in my Brooklyn apartment, not yet has one happened when I've been home, until last night. At about 10:30pm I'm sitting at my computer typing an email to my friend Sheila down in Florida. When I heard screeching tires and major crashing. Next thing I know the people in apartment above me are running to their window facing street and people next door run out of building to have a "look". As for me ... I continue to type my email. Two minutes later I hear and see a firetruck & ambulence go up my street. I live on a one-way street and these vehicles were going in the wrong direction. So I stop typing, grab my keys and head outside. I forget to put sandals on, but since its nice and warm outside, it doesn't matter. I look up the street and already a crowd has gathered viewing the "scene", along with the firetruck/ambulence/police folk doing their thing. So I stand in front of my building trying to gage whats going on and talking to one of my neighbors on second floor [she's looking out her window]. So far, we can tell from passers-by that no one is dead or seriously hurt. Thank god! After about 5 minutes or so I walk up the street to where some of my neighbors had congregated. We talked and viewed the accident scene. Both cars were totalled, one was slammed up next to a street-light post and had also shoved two parked cars onto curb. The second car, in this fiasco, was across the street up on curb. Apparently the one driver didn't stop at the stop sign and rammed into the other car as it went thru the intersection. You know auto insurance companies will be busy with this situation. After awhile I said "goodnight" to my neighbors and headed back to my apartment to finish email, then go to bed, cause by this time it was after 11pm. What a night! Whew!

No comments: