Sunday, October 12, 2003

Well ... well ... things have been busy, interesting and even fun. First off ... some news from the Internet. Found a fascinating article on Common Dreams website, which I wanted to share with you all. If your interested, read on, if not, bypass it to non-political related stuff.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1011-08.htm

*****************************

Hung out briefly with Rob Thursday evening at my place ... out on the front stoop [weather was nice]. He'd brought over some things for me to take up to the Yonkers Ferret Shelter on Saturday.

On Friday evening I went to BIRDLAND jazz club on West 44th Street to see the Andy Summers Trio perform live. Andy was THE POLICE guitarist [one of the best rock bands from early 1980s] and the group was recently inducted into R & R Hall of Fame. I've been happily following Andy's musical career since 1983. The man is one brilliant, talented guitarist. Got to the club around 8:20pm, paid the "fee" at the door, sat at the bar [prime view of small stage] and waved to Dennis as he was finishing the setup of Andy's equipment. Dennis is Andy's road manager and we've been corresponding via email for a number of years. He's a great guy! Ordered a glass of wine and settled in. When Dennis had a free moment he came over, gave me a hug and we chatted for abit. Shortly before 9pm Andy strolled into the club and walked backstage with his guitar case strapped to his back. Before the first set began [sometime after 9pm] the jazz club filled up abit more. Then it was show time! Andy came out followed by Ernest Tibbs [bass player] and Toss Panos [drummer]. Much applause and me shouting BRAVO. Well, someone had too. During the hour long set Andy played songs from his new CD called ... EARTH & SKY. Some of the songs played from the new CD during the set were ... Above The World, Now I'm Free & The Diva Station. Awesome groove! During the first song or two Andy was experiencing some technical difficulties and Dennis worked on the situation while the trio played on. During the course of the set ... inbetween songs ... Andy would chat in his usual dry witty banter. Which I always find amusing. Overall I very much enjoyed the news songs and Andy was in top form. After the set I talked abit with Dennis and he got me Andy's "guitar pick" he used during the set. WooHoo! I also chatted with the bass player, who is a very congenial chap. Andy came out briefly after having some dinner and talked with folk sitting at the bar, plus some fans who wanted autographs. Before going backstage Dennis brought Andy over to me and we had a short, pleasant conversation. Andy also shook my hand and thanked me for coming to his gigs. Told Dennis I'd hangout for abit and watched the first song of second set before heading home. The way the trains were running [or not running correctly] led me later to think I should of stayed for whole second set. Left BIRDLAND jazz club around 11:20pm and didn't get home until after 1am. If the damn trains hadn't been so messed up I'd of been home at midnight. Geez!


For more on Andy Summers, check out his website at:

http://www.andysummers.com

On Saturday I headed up to Yonkers to do my volunteer work at ferret shelter. Aliza and her daughter Briana met me at the station, along with their adorable new toy poodle Mitzi. She's only 4 months old, such a lovable little ball of fluff and loves to give kisses. It'd been awhile since I last saw Aliza, so we caught up on gossip. Got to Joanne's place and waltz'd in with Mitzi. Gave hugs to Poppy [Harley was out in dog house since it was a nice, sunny day] and several of the cats. Joanne was with a couple in the shelter who'd come to adopt not one but two ferrets. Yeah! We brought Mitzi in with us to see how she got on with the furkids. Rather amusing to behold as the ferrets didn't know what to make of this little bundle of fur, but she romped around with them. Aliza has two ferrets, so Mitzi is acquainted with furkids. After the couple left with their two furkids the four of us headed back into the kitchen to chat for abit. I'd brought up some things that Rob gave me and it took the three of us to put one of the items together. [smiling] Aliza and Briana left shortly, so Joanne filled me in on ferret news since my last visit. Several newbies, as well as adoptions. Then it was time to do my duties ... such as brush fur, clean ears, fill waterbottles, play with furkids, etc. My favorites [ie: Oliver, Emily, Big Willy & Sweet Pea] had already had their playtime and were sleeping in the cage. My duties included taking care of two different groups before heading into kitchen to have a tea break with Joanne. We talked about ferrets, Cape May and Politics. Afterwards I mopped the floors and put down fresh newspapers for their poop. Another fav of mine ... Fuzzbutt ... stomach area is abit larger than usual and I inquired with Joanne. She says his spleen is enlarged and not much one can do for him medically. Its an occurance that happens to ferrets over 5 years old and Fuzzbutt is over 6. So she keeps him happy and comfortable. I gave him lots of cuddles too plus some extra FerreVita. Poor darling ... he's such a good boy too.

No comments: