Sunday, June 12, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #57

On Wednesday, May 18th, I had quite a busy evening with not one, but two conference calls. [In-between the calls I was able eat dinner and do a load of laundry. Laundromat is just around the corner from my apartment.] And yes, both were related to Dept of Peace. I got home from work just in time to make the first call [NYC DoP Strategy] at 6pm. Karen wasn't able to attend the call; so it was just Coco, Liz, Carol and I. Very productive, shared some laughs, accomplished alot and the call lasted an hour. I wish I was at liberty to go into detail, but can only relate some topics et al.

1] Keeping our eye on the ball & our goals focused
2] Get as many congress people to sign the bill
3] Improve relationships with congress people to become more than just signers, but true advocates.
4] Discuss upcoming events related to peace

The second call that evening [NYC DoP Monthly] was at 9pm. It lasted about 40 minutes and those in attendance were Joe [District 7], David, his wife Carolyn [District 21] and I [District 12]. We didn't have an agenda to go by so we just talked about different topics relating to peace, shared some laughs, the Humanities Team, current US government faux pax, etc.

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson

On Thursday, May 19th, the NYC Chapter Dept of Peace [DoP] held its monthly board meeting at 6:30pm. We started about 10 minutes late, but that’s okay, we hadn't seen each other in awhile so we shared hugs and small talk. Joe brought yummy Italian cookies for all to partake. And Kevin showed up briefly to drop off some DoP related items before heading out again. [He was abit beat from busy work day and out late night before to see U2 in concert. Lucky guy!] Those in attendance that evening were Joe, Dawn, Vlad, Coco, Liz, Carol, Ellen, Karen and I. [Maria was on vacation. Lucky gal!]

We always start off our meetings with a 2 to 5 minute meditative silence. As I wrote earlier, I'm not at liberty to go into great detail about these meetings. Why? Well, we're still not incorporated yet [non-profit organization] and that will be taking place by mid-July. There will be much celebrating and popping of the champagne corks when that happens. Oh yeah! What I can tell you is that the meeting progressed at a steady pace, as we had to be out of Karen's office by 8:30pm. The committee chairs gave their reports and since I'm board secretary, I was responsible for the meeting minutes. We also took a vote on whether to endorse the "Peace Tax Fund" [learn more at: http://peacetaxfund.org] or not. [BTW ... Did you all know that HALF of your tax dollars goes to the military?] The vote was a strong, favorable YEA and only one NAY. I was able to get home to watch the last 37 minutes of CSI Las Vegas. I think it was the season’s last episode and it was intense. Love this show!

More training at work, May 20th, this time for the new telephone system [CISCO]. Yes, I know, can't you feel the excitement mounting? Yawn!

SONNET: TO THE NILE
by Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley [1792 - 1822]

Month after month the gathered rains descend
Drenching you secret Ethiopian dells;
And from the desert's ice-girt pinnacles,
Where Frost and Heat in strange embraces blend
On Atlas, fields of moist snow half depend;
Girt there with blasts and meteors, Tempest dwells
By Nile's aerial urn, with rapid spells
Urging those waters to their mighty end.
Over Egypt’s land of Memory floods are level,
And they are thine, O Nile! And well thou knowest
That soul-sustaining airs and blasts of evil,
And fruits and poisons, spring where'er thou flowest.
Beware, O Man! For knowledge must to thee
Like the great flood to Egypt ever by.

On Sunday, May 22nd, I attended a slideshow and lecture regarding the Western world's perception of the Arabs and Middle East. This was held at 1pm at Unitarian All Souls church on upper eastside of Manhattan. The informative lecture was presented by Nissam Watson. Wish I had more info on Nissam Watson, but I don't. My sincere apologies for that. As to the lecture, he stated it’s still a "work in progress", but what we were privy to was fascinating. How "white" Westerns treat other people, nations and cultures over the centuries just sickens me. Thinking their superior and more civilized to everyone else. Far from it! The way many have treated others is cruel, inhumane and even barbaric. And definitely not within the true teachings of Jesus. Okay, mini rant is over, and I'll get off my soapbox.

On Wednesday, May 25th, I attended my very first baseball game at Yankee Stadium. The $5 tickets were courtesy of fellow NYC DoP member. [Karen is a huge Derek Jeter fan.] First of all, you wouldn't know it was the end of May. Good lord, the weather was chilly, windy and abit damp. Definitely not balmy springtime weather. Hell no! Despite the inclements, I had a great time hanging out with Karen, her sister and their friends. Before I left the office I changed into warm, comfy clothes and then headed up to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx via subway. The Lexington Avenue subway stops right outside the stadium, so one doesn't have far to go. I arrived at 6:30pm, purchased a hot chocolate with Cracker Jacks, found my seat up in the nose bleed section and waited for the others to arrive. What an amazing view from up there. Wow!

Yankees were playing against Detroit Tigers that evening and they won the game [4 to 2]. As to the game itself, it lasted about 3 hours and the 5th inning thru 7th was most exciting. At one point I went to buy a t-shirt at the concession stand, plus another hot chocolate. Went into the bathroom to put it over my turtleneck and hooded sweatshirt over that. Yeah baby, it was chilly! Layering is were it’s at, oh yeah, plus I had gloves on to! Also, alot is going on at the stadium that one doesn't see on the telly. Overall experience was totally fascinating, though I silently objected to the "over the top" nationalism on display. Many of you readers will know what I mean ... I'll leave it at that. [More "personal news" coming soon ... stay tuned.]

A MOMENT WITH SCOT BARBOUR, INDEPENDENT FILMMAKER
Gene Stout / Seattlepi.com
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/227673_malfunkshun09.html

MEMOGATE HEARINGS SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 16th
David Swanson / Progressive Newswire
http://www.commondreams.org/news2005/0610-20.htm

No comments: