Saturday, August 20, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #67
A few months ago some Kucitizen friends of mine [ie: Cielito & Linda] told me about this free, upcoming lecture set for the evening of July 30th. I promptly marked my calendar so as to be available. Both ladies are also members/volunteers of a non-profit organization called Share International Foundation [http://www.share-international.org], which was hosting the lecture featuring Benjamin Creme. The lecture centered on Maitreya, the World Teacher and head of a Spiritual Hierarchy, who is located in London. More info on Maitreya can be found at the Share International website [see above link]. I arrived at FIT Institute off of Seventh Avenue at 27th Street precisely at 7pm. Cielitos friend and roommate Max was at the "sign in" desk. We chatted briefly and it's great seeing him again. I headed up the stairs and looked for a suitable seat in the auditorium. People were still trickling in and it became apparent that the Opening Blessing/Lecture would not start on time. Ah well, these things happen. Imagine my delighted surprise in seeing fellow Dept of Peace member [Joe] there with a friend of his. Linda was manning one of the Share International tables and Cielito was in Seattle on vacation. The evening finally started with an "Opening Blessing" from Maitreya given through Mr. Crème. Its termed "mental overshadowing" and one usually meditates while it is going on. Afterwards I felt pretty good and relaxed. It was apparent that with so many "new" people in the audience, like me, regarding Maitreya that Mr. Crème took abit longer than expected with the lecture. Personally, I thought it was all totally fascinating. During the intermission I got to chat with Linda. Always a pleasure seeing her and catching up on news, also had a fun conversation with Joe and his friend. By the time the Q&A segment started it was 10:45pm. Goodbyes and hugs to both Joe and Linda.

Also that evening, I had promised dear Thomas [fellow NYC Kucitizen] I'd attend his DJ segment at a "Barefoot Boogie". This was being held at a dance studio on 25th Street near Sixth Avenue. By the time I arrived at 11pm I had missed 1 1/2 songs of his segment. [Bummer!] Thomas always plays some funky, upbeat stuff and I had a fun time shaking my groove thang. Many other hip folk were there, with a nice age mix and groove. Thomas and I talked and hugged briefly, and then I had to leave after midnight, as I was soooo hungry and tired. Guess I was trying to do abit much and so soon after my Bronchoscope. Duh!

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fell. Think of it, ALWAYS! Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, August 2nd, was the monthly National Dept of Peace conference call and it was hosted by Lynn McMullen, plus Matthew Albracht was co-host. [I've met both and their terrific people who are passionate on this important cause.] Many were in attendance on the call from all over the US. The main topic of the one hour call was on the upcoming Peace Conference in DC. Lynn talked about fundraising to help cover DC conference expenses and fees. Which included sending out letters to friends and family. Many on the call told of how they're bringing the DoP campaign to their area and making communities more aware. Which reminds me, I must start flyering for DoP and Norm Siegel campaign in my neighborhood. Have all the materials at home and need to hit the streets. These conference calls & meetings always get me so jazzed. [To Duchess Blog viewers ... if you'd like to know more about either campaign, go to the following websites ... http://www.norman2005.com AND http://www.ThePeaceAlliance.org ... peace & solidarity]

Attended the monthly DFA [Democracy for America] meetup on Wednesday, August 3rd, in Williamsburg [Brooklyn]. Left work at 5pm, so I could race back to my neighborhood, and get a much needed manicure. From there I briefly stopped by my apartment to get snail mail, email, make a phone call, etc. The walk to the Royal Oak pub on Union Street takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Arrived about 5 minutes late, but was happy to see the meetup was just starting. Whew! Paul was again hosting the meetup and always does a nice job. Total attendance that evening was six people and this included me. Topics of discussion were on the DFNYC Research Group, September 13th primary day, Norman Siegel campaign, voting machines, Downing Street Memo and writing a few letters to Primary Voters in our neighborhood. We wrapped things up around 9:30pm and I got home around 10pm. Next meetup is Wednesday, September 7th.

The monthly NY Dept of Peace meetup was on Thursday, August 4th. This time it was being held at a Starbucks on upper Westside of Manhattan. I waited 30 minutes, drank an Iced Passion Tea Lemonade and sadly no one showed up.


Headed home in time for the 9pm NY Dept of Peace call regarding the September Peace Conference in DC. The call was hosted by Kevin and Ellen ... board members of the NYC Chapter. [http://www.nyc-dop.com] Also on the call was David, Carol, Liz, Janet, Liz, Pricilla and myself. Discussion on transportation, lobbying, meeting with congresspeople, hotel accommodations, etc. [As for myself, I've been saving money and will be staying with friends just outside of DC.] Before many of us leave NYC the afternoon of September 9th and head to DC, we'll be having a press conference "hopefully" on the steps of City Hall at 12 noon. Stay tuned for more info on that event.

No comments: