Sunday, September 18, 2005

REFLECTIONS & BRIEF COMMENTARY ON THE 3rd ANNUAL DEPT OF PEACE CONFERENCE HELD IN WASHINGTON, DC

Many members from NYC Chapter Dept of Peace had been planning for months in attending this important conference [Sept 10 - 12]. Our chapter chairperson [Carol] and vice-chair [Kevin] attended the first two conferences and their enthusiasm was quite infectious. [These types of events should be attended by ALL. Makes neither difference what your political leanings are nor cultural/religious background. Peace is vital for ALL and especially for the future of everyone's children.] Those first two conferences inspired Carol and Kevin to set up a chapter in NYC. On September 12, 2005 the NYC Chapter Dept of Peace celebrated its one-year anniversary. I came onboard towards the end of October 2004 via the persistent urging of a fellow Kucitizen.

For me, after registering online at the Peace Alliance website, came the task of saving up funds for this wonderful and inspiring weekend. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford transport, conference fee, hotel room and food on my limited budget. Well ... some ... but not all. Knew I had to cut corners and make connections to pull it off. In early July I contacted good friends of mine in Virginia, near Washington DC, and inquired if I could stay at their place to save on hotel costs. “Absolutely” was their reply and marked their calendar. Next on the list was transportation and I was helped out by some fellow DoP board members, plus an Amtrak union member. [While all this was going on over the months, leading up to the conference, I was busy saving what money I could out of each paycheck. I'm not that savvy at hording buckos, so I asked my Mom to help out. Nothing like the Bank of Mom, she’s like Fort Knox.] With last minute transport changes to our agenda, due to a NYC Dept of Peace press conference slated for Friday, September 9th, all worked out well. [Many thanks to Marie, Joe, Gary, Nancie, Tim & Kathleen.] It would have been even more awesome if the press had shown up at the steps of City Hall. But that didn't dampen our spirits, no way, we utilize that moment as a tremendous learning curve towards future press conferences et al.

To be honest ... I was excited about this conference and experience, but I also harbored some anxiety. [Would it touch me spiritually like it did for others?] Like trying something new for the first time, one does experience some trepidation, but once there it was amazing. Most people go through that ... it’s quite common. I want to take a moment to express heartfelt praise for those in the NY Dept of Peace group [ie: Joe, Jacques, Craig, Nancie, Susan, Pricilla, Carol, Maria, Ellen, Hector, David1, David2, Liz, Marni, Eileen, Kevin, Kathleen, Kolya, Janet and Barry] who attended the 3rd Annual Peace Conference. They’re all outstanding people who are truly compassionate. It was a pleasure meeting and chatting with several of them for the first time. From the bottom of my heart I consider myself truly blessed in knowing and working with such individuals. Thanks for all the laughter, hugs and camaraderie. [Yes, I know, I said this part before, but wanted to express it again.]

As to the conference itself, I wasn't able to be there for all of it, but what I did experience was fantastic. In brief there were several special, touching and inspiring moments for me. To highlight them ... chatting with Peggy Kelsey & Heather McDonnell (respectfully from TX & OH.] They were two of the many conference photographers that weekend. We talked for some time before the conference started and I greatly enjoyed our conversation. Other moments that Saturday was someone's baby cooing at the end of the Kokomon Clottey [ie: drumming]. Brought warm chuckles from those assembled. Dot Mavers rousing the audience during Tim Reynolds performance of "All You Need Is Love". What can I say, in that Marianne Williamson is always an inspiration. Jan Hartke gave a fascinating account, via his fathers work, on the history of the Dept of Peace. During the dinner break our group had an enjoyable dinner at restaurant in hotel. Sitting near us were peacemakers from Ohio, Illinois and Indiana. [Peacemakers from Maine all the way to Hawaii gathered at the Peace Conference. There were also Peace Groups from Canada and Japan in attendance. More should join us next year and spread the word. Let peace light the way, not fear.] At one point, during dinner, the Ohio group expressed a touching speech to us New Yorkers regarding 9/11.

That evening, as I listened to Azim Khamisa speak, I was deeply moved by the loss of his son and his healing/spiritual journey over last 10 years. Of the individuals speaking at the evening’s forum, Brahma Kumaris Sister Jenna's words and soothing voice were a balm to my soul. The next morning we were honored in hearing former U.S. Ambassador John McDonald’s commentary and work on peace throughout the world. Shortly after the free lunch provided by the conference, some of us [including myself] left to journey back to our homes and spread the word of Peace. To learn more about the Dept of Peace, go to … http://www.dopcampaign.org/

[Duchess Note ... Check out the latest update at FRIENDS OF FRIDAY FORUM & read an inspiring commentary about recent Dept of Peace Conference. Link to FORUM is in left column under "Favorite Links". Peace, Joy & Solidarity!]

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace. Martin Luther King

No comments: