Thursday, October 23, 2008

PERSONAL NEWS #153

Friday, October 10th, I volunteered with City Harvest at the Union Square farmers market.

On Saturday, October 11th, I hopped onboard a Coach USA bus bound for NJ to spend the day with my friend Sheila. Arrived in Monroe Township around 10am and went back to her place for a tasty brunch of delicious fresh muffins, tea and juice. You couldn’t ask for a better weather weekend. It was a perfect autumn day with blue skies, gentle breeze, warm temps and no humidity. We drove over to Princeton and found parking on Nassau Street a block or so from Thomas Sweets. Before conducting a brief tour of the lovely university grounds, we stopped by Thomas Sweets for some delicious ice cream. [I highly recommend this place!] We ate our ice cream leisurely outside in the sunshine. Did some people watching and it seemed all of Princeton was out that day. We were abit limited on what we could see and do around Princeton, as Sheila had a bootie on her foot due to a stress fracture. We mostly checked out the areas around Firestone Library, Chapel, McCosh Hall, Dickenson Hall, Witherspoon Hall and Nassau Hall.
University Square
Archway1
We gazed at the shop windows on Nassau Street and briefly down a few side streets until we found “Pins & Needles”. At this point, I walked briskly back to the car to put more quarters in the meter. Back at the shop I joined Sheila and purchased some yarn for a charity scarf project I plan to start in November. On way back to the car we stopped by Holder Hall to take pix and my camera died on me. Darn Darn Darn!! Holder Hall has some lovely architecture and archways. I drove the car back to Monroe Township, as Sheila was abit tired and we made a brief pit stop at a RiteAid. After a nice, leisurely break out on the sunny porch we drove over to charming Cranbury for dinner at a popular Italian place. The buildings and Main Street in Cranbury remind me of Washington Street in Cape May. Caught the 7:40pm bus back to NYC and arrived at 9pm.

Next day, October 12th, on the way to Riverside Park on the subway, I ran into another NYC Harry Potter Group member [James]. We chatted about our respective interest in the Harry Potter craze, plus Renaissance/Medieval festivals. We got to the Quidditch pitch, off of West 108th Street, shortly after 11am. Games had not started yet and still in process of setting up. We joined members of TGTSNBN for the first Quidditch match of the season and we were blessed with perfect weather for it. Eventually others showed up and the teams [ie: Marauders & Centaurs] formed, plus Jonathan and Diane were the referees.
TGTSNBN Quidditch Teams & Refs
One of the team members gave me his digital camera and asked if I’d take pix of the game. Over the course of two games, plus a break, I took 100 pix. If I ever get some funds together, I’m heading over to B&H to purchase a decent affordable digital camera. Regarding Quidditch, I’d love to be “keeper”, but not sure how my left foot would hold up due to the Plantar Fascia. Maybe if I wore my ACE bandage I could get away with it, as both Diane and Jonathan think I’d make a good keeper. Being tall does help, I guess. Due to limited funds I decided not to join the group for brunch after the games at TOAST. Instead I headed home to take care of chores around the apartment.

Tuesday, October 14th, was the first “EY Crafters Lunch Gathering” in a conference room at work. Then at 2pm I jumped on a conference call with Joe and Kevin to talk with Aja Worthy Davis from Councilmember James office on re-introducing Resolution 627.

Katherine, Maurice & Shane
[My good friend Katherine with her hubby and grandson at Shelton Day – Oct 2008]

A FEW PHOTOS FROM MY 50th BIRTHDAY PARTY
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

[Duchess Note: More “personal news” coming up regarding my birthday weekend.]

No comments: