Sunday, October 18, 2009


Thursday, October 1st, I attended the enjoyable TGTSNBN meetup at Cafe Metro. This month the topic was members talking about their experiences in “coming out to Muggles” regarding their love for the Harry Potter stories. It was such an entertaining evening and lovely chatting with other members, plus meeting new members to the group.

On Saturday afternoon, October 3rd, my friend Linda G came for a visit, plus had “two guys with a van” deliver a 27-inch television, entertainment unit and a chest of drawers. Linda’s sister and niece moved in with her, and they brought their newer furnishing, so Linda didn’t have need for certain items. She’d asked me back during Labor Day weekend if I’d like the items, and I said absolutely. After the movers removed my old items and then left, Linda and I arranged the items in my apartment, cleaned things up and then I whipped up some lunch. We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up on news. The first DVD I watched that evening on the 27-inch TV was LOTRs RotK.

Next day, October 4th, I volunteered at the 25th Annual Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park in NYC. I’ve been volunteering at this event for my friend Eileen Merle-Rao [performance director] since 2005, and it’s always interesting, plus alot of fun. Arrived shortly after 9am and made straight for the hospitality area near Tournament Field. The weather was great and a huge crowded made the festival a success. Throughout the day I mostly assisted and hung out with Becca, John, Kevin, Margaret and Veronica.

The Cloisters
[The Cloisters at Fort Tryon Park in NYC]

Fort Tryon Park Joust
[Viewing the joust at the Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park]

Throughout the course of the day I also ran into, and briefly chat with, members of TGTSNBN and they were all wearing wonderful medieval garb. Some members of NETS were also there, and try as I may, I just couldn’t locate them within that huge crowd. Can’t imagine how I could have missed Tim in his Gandalf the Grey costume. Overall I had a most enjoyable day and my foot held up nicely.

Tuesday, October 6th, I had a foot doctor appointment for therapy, which is now once every two weeks instead of every week. I am definitely feeling a vast improvement on foot that had surgery. It has been a little over two months since the surgery.

Wednesday evening, October 7th, I participated in the 2-hour NVC Academy “To Be Peace” telecourse.

Friday evening, October 9th, I joined my friend Cielito at a two-hour meditation with a few other members of Share International. This was held at a Share International member’s home on West 104th Street, and then afterwards Cielito and I headed down to West 33rd Street for a lite dinner at a Korean restaurant. Food was reasonably priced and very tasty. During our leisurely dining experience we were able to catch up on news and gossip.

Saturday afternoon, October 10th, I joined some members of The NYC Tolkien Society [ie: Dennis, Jo and Frodan] for abit of sightseeing along 5th Avenue, and then strolled over to 9th Avenue around 50th Street. They were attending a special dinner in which the honored guests were Howard Shore and Doug Adams. Other members of NETS and TORn were also in attendance for this event, which I later heard about from Dennis and saw pix on his digital camera. The Bilbo and Frodo birthday cake was very impressive and had been especially ordered by Timdalf. I ended up having a late lunch/early dinner at a nice Mexican place called Blockheads. Afterwards I raced home to change and freshen up for the special event ahead. Met up with members of NYC Tolkien Society [ie: Timdalf, Dennis, Kathy, Andi, Mary, Jo, Frodan, and Carole] at RCMH for the LotR FotR event. Even though my birthday was a week away, this was my own precious pressie to me. Outside RCMH people were taking photos of our group. Why? Ummm, maybe it was due to the fact that several members were in LotRs costume. Tim was dressed as Gandalf the Grey, Frodan as Frodo and Jo as Eowyn the shield maiden. Many attendees went in before 6:30pm, so as to hear Howard Shore and Doug Adams speak about the music and creating this type of event. Tim, Dan and Jo attended the event on Friday evening, and related that Elijah Wood and Billy Boyd [ie: Frodo & Pippin] were in the audience. Frodan even got to chat with Elijah’s and obtain his autograph! Very cool! Great hearing Howard and Doug speak about the music, but the main event was yet to come, and that started promptly at 7:30pm. What an experience! [Dennis, Tim and I sat in the second mezzanine, and the others were scattered around the first mezzanine and orchestra.] Seeing FotR on the big screen while listening [and viewing] to the orchestra, soloists and assorted chorales bring the music to glorious life was so thrilling. At times I had chills running up and down my spine and/or tears in my eyes for the beauty of it all. During the intermission, which is halfway through the film, tried to utilize the rest room but the lines were soooo long. Dennis and I chatted briefly with Tim, and I also read through the special program for the event. We learned that “The Two Towers” will be shown at RCMH around October 9, 2010. Awesome! We in the audience applauded certain segments, laughed in others and the biggest applause came at the end. I would gladly pay to see this type of event over and over again. It was that amazing. Afterwards I briefly chatted with my friends [NETS] before roaming the streets in search of a subway that was working to get my buttocks home. I eventually got home around 12:30am and in bed by 1am. Difficulty in getting to sleep with visions of a glorious evening bopping around my noggin, but blessed sleep did come. Amen!

Next day, October 11th, I caught the 11:07am train to Stamford; were my dear friend Katherine picked me up, along with her 3 year old grandson Shane. We hadn’t seen each other for quite some time, and had much to catch up on. We drove to Pound Ridge for the annual Art & Craft Show in Scotts Corners. Even though the weather was overcast and windy at least it didn’t rain, and therefore not spoil our day. With Shane in his little red wagon, we traversed the show and admired the artisans work, and I purchased a few items. Afterwards we drove to our ole elementary school to stroll about the grounds, peek in the windows, and reminisce about the ole days back in the 1960s. Shane spent some time at the playground and checking out the slides. Then we stopped by the Pound Ridge cemetery, so that I could pay my respects at Danny B’s grave site. From there we headed back to Stamford and dealt with Shane’s temper tantrum while driving. Not an easy experience, but somehow Katherine and I weathered the storm. Shane eventually calmed down, drank some water in his sippy cup and ate some chips. Poor dear didn’t have much of a nap and was feeling abit cranky. Caught the train back to NYC and another weekend is at an end.

On Monday evening, October 12th, I joined other TGTSNBN members at Tutuma Social Club to hear Travis Prinzi talk about the Harry Potter books. He’s also author of two books of essays on the HP series, plus webmaster of site. Travis’ Halloween themed discussion was about Harry Potter, Dracula, and Frankenstein: Supernatural fear and the gothic in J.K.Rowling’s bestselling novels.

Wednesday, October 14th, I participated in the NYDoP CCR Committee conference call about taking Resolution 627 further and re-introducing it in 2010.

Friday evening, October 16th, I joined others at the weekly Friday Nite Knits, which is always held at “The Oak & the Iris” near Fort Hamilton Pkwy.

On Saturday evening, October 17th, I joined my friend Jackie for dinner at “Big Daddy’s Diner” near Union Square. We caught up on news and gossip while enjoying some tasty comfort food. Jackie treated me to the meal, as it was my birthday. We’re both going to switch gears and become Vegans in early 2010. Afterwards we headed to the southern part of Union Square and did some shopping at WholeFoods. The latter is okay, though abit pricey, and in future I’ll do more of my specialty shopping at Westerly’s on 8th Avenue. Earlier in the day Dana came by to clean my apartment, plus I did some veggie shopping at the local farmers market and got a much needed manicure. For my birthday I received “happy wishes” via Facebook and also cards in the mail.


Anonymous baluoct27 said...

Thanks... for sharing. Nice post, good information.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

You are very welcome :-)

Happy to hear you like the posting and my blog.

Be peace..........

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home