Friday, September 10, 2004

A FABULOUS LETTER FROM RENZO OF LONG ISLAND CITY [NYC], TO A LOCAL QUEENS NEWSPAPER REGARDING DEMOCRAT INCUMBENT MALONEY & THE 14TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT [Believe me ... this is definitely worth reading ... Bravo Renzo Bravo!!]

Dear Mrs Maloney:

My name is Renzo Pecoraro, I live in Long Island City (moved here a little more than a year ago from lower Manhattan) and have the other day received the Board Of Elections letter inviting me to vote in the primaries on Sept 14. I am not an activist by any means, I have not even ever written a letter to an editor of any newspaper, and I am frankly not even reading all the local or national newspapers, I probably should be reading to stay in touch with what's going on. So it is frankly quite possibly my own fault that I never knew you were my representative in Congress, and had actually not ever even heard of you, until I took the letter of the Board Of Elections as an opportunity to check out who's running in the primaries. My first stop was the Board of Election website, which frankly is amazingly pathetic and a real embarrassment for American Democracy. Eventually, I found. . . .

http://www.congress.org

where you were listed as the incumbent and Mr. Jereski as your challenger (Mr. Jereski got removed a few days later from that list). I have never met either one of you in person, so I can only go by the information available on your websites. To my amazement, your website neither shows me your voting record, and your last press release is more than half a year old. I had to find out from Mr. Jereski's website that you voted in favor of the Iraq war, that you had called for the UN to supervise the Florida elections (which sort of rang a bell in me, I seem to remember that bit of news), and that you were challenging Mr. Jereski's attempt to get onto the ballot. Mr. Jereski has $7,000 in his campaign, you have $700,000. Irrespective of the merits of your legal challenges, it is completely and utterly incomprehensible to me that you would chose to challenge the attempts of Mr. Jereski to get onto the ballot rather than encouraging competition and open dialogue. Last time I checked, this is NOT the Soviet Union, but the United States of America, and to resort to legalistic arguments in order to shut down an open fight for voters is simply despicable, wrong and truly hypocritical. Call me naive, but I thought it's the Republicans that use these kinds of tactics.

In short, please note my extreme displeasure, outrage, and disgust about the fact that there will be a primary election come September 14, but no-one to vote for, and that there will be a congressional election come November 2, and again, no-one to vote for. Luckily for you, I will never vote Republican, but I guess that's what you've been banking on for 12 years now. I promise, next time around I will not wait for the invitation of the Board of Elections to go vote, I will make damn sure I do everything in my power to support any Democrat running against you. Dear Mrs. Maloney, this country does not need politicians like you. If we did, we might as well all vote Republican - they are much better at doing corruption. This country needs politicians who embrace competion, open dialogue, and who have the guts to stand up for what they believe in. Clearly, you are not one of them.

With best regards
Renzo Pecoraro
Long Island City, NY

No comments: