Friday, October 01, 2004

PEARL JAM LIVE ON LETTERMAN LATE SHOW - September 30th - Playing The Bob Dylan Song "Master Of War"
http://homepage.mac.com/jeffgarden/PJ-MastersOfWar.mpg


Personal News #38
Yesterday, September 30th, I took a vacation day from work, so that I could hangout with Andrea at the Letterman Show stage door all afternoon. Why you ask? Well ... I tell you my dear readers ... my fav band [Pearl Jam] would be appearing on Letterman's LATE SHOW. [Since both of us wouldn't be able to go to any of the "Vote for Change" mini tour gigs, we decided this would be our PJ fix for the year.]

I arrived at the Ed Sullivan Theater, where Letterman Show is taped, atabout 12:10pm and went straight to the box office. One doesn't purchase tix, but you fill out a form, talk to an individual who questions you and then around 2pm they do a "lottery" pick. The theater only holds about 400 people and its 2 tix per person. I checked my office voicemail [via Andrea's cellphone] a few times after 2pm, but no message from the Letterman Show. Sigh! After completing the box office process, I stopped by Ranch 1 for a light lunch and it was awful.

Then I went to hangout near the stage door on West 53rd Street. There were already a few fans hanging out when I arrived. The weather wasn't looking or feeling so great and it actually rained for awhile. Good thing I listened to 1010 WINS for the weather update and brought my umbrella. Learned from the two chaps [Phil is from Long Island & the other chap is from NJ] that John Travolta was tobe the only guest that day. Already knew that Pearl Jam was slated as music guest. The two gals [Kat is from Long Island & the other lady hails from CT] are Pearl Jam fans and sounds like they've both been following the bands career for a long time.

I was waiting for Andrea to show up, which she did around 1:30pm. Hurray! Good to see her & we caught up on some news/gossip! Poor dear was at a different entrance, at first. Security finally put up the barricades near the stage door and more fans showed up. Half for Travolta and half forPearl Jam. As the afternoon wore on the standing around was getting to my poor lower back. But it was all worth it for many brief looks et al of my fav band and even Travolta. The minutes ticked on and on ... we heard that the taping of Thursday nights show is slated to begin at 4:30pm and run to 5:30pm. The band members finally showed up around 3:45pm in two large, black SUVs. Boom, Stone and Jeff exited the vehicles quickly and into the theater. Sadly I didn't see my darling Jeff, as my attention was diverted to the second SUV. [Another PJ fan (Brian) said Jeff looked cool with his blond spiky mohawkish hairdo.] Mike got out of second SUV first and started to sign autographs. [He looked great, wearing sunglasses & sporting blondish hair!] I managed to get a pix of him, but wasn't able to get one of Ed or Matt. After they all entered the theater Andrea and I were happy to see the band members up close, but bummed that we missed Jeff. He is our fav and quite the hunk.

[Eddie Vedder (white t-shirt in his mouth) Heading For Limo After Taping Letterman Late Show With Pearl Jam. The Duchess Is The Redhead To The Right Of Shot.]

We then waited about 10 minutes or so, when John Travolta's large, black SUV showed up. Poor Andrea and I almost got crushed by the fans who were shoving photos at Travolta to sign and taking photos. Even some of the paparrazzi was there [on other side] taking loads of pix. Andrea told Travolta that she'd had a crush on him since he did GREASE. That pleased him ... he gave her a hug and kissed her cheek. Wow! Was she thrilled for quite some time and trembling like a leaf. Seeing him in person didn't disappoint me. He comes across as very congenial, about my height [5'10"], close cropped hair, blue eyes, trim in figure and nicely dressed. [Dark suit with blue shirt.]

Then came another long wait while the taping of the show was going on. [Andrea & I did exchange email addresses with a few other PJ fans (Kat/Brian/Phil). Exchange photos, etc.] One of the PJ fans spotted manager Kelly Curtis and asked him which song the band would perform. He told us it was to be "Masters of War". Hell yeah!! The bandmembers are definitely NOT fans of Bushit & Co. Progressive Democrats baby! Around 5:15pm John Travolta left the theater, after finishing his segment with Letterman, and proceeded to sign more autographs et al. This time around I did manage to get a pix of him. Even tho poor Andrea and I were being crushed by the onslaught of fans.

[Pearl Jam at Reading, PA on October 1st. From L to R ... Boom, Mike, Matt, Jeff [sigh!], Eddie and Stone. Keep on rocking in the free world guys ... your the best!]

Then it was another 20 to 30minute wait before PJ left the theater. By 5pm there were also fans across the street waiting for glimpses. Finally our lads exit the building with Stone in front and Jeff behind him making a mad dash for the first SUV. I caught a long glimpse of dear Jeff and he was wearing that damn knit hat. Other than that he looked so cute. Then Mike came out, signed a few autographs and then he looked right at were Andrea and I [two dozen plus fans behind us] stood to take a pix with a disposible camera. I flashed him a wide eyed, happy smile and as he walked close by me towards the SUV, I patted him on the shoulder and said "looking good Mikey". Then following Mike was Ed and as security was ushering him towards the second vehicle I got a pix of him with a t-shirt in his mouth. [smiling] When I turned around there was PJ drummer Matt Cameron. He was just standing there waiting to get through, so I started up a brief conversation. He's very personable and seemed abit surprised, at first, that a fan was talking to him. I said "Hey Matt, looking good man" and he said "why thank you very much". I then asked him "are you looking forward to the gig in Reading tomorrow evening" ... he replied "Reading? Oh yeah, Reading, definitely". I then rounded up the conversation with "I heard the two Boston gigs were totally kick-ass shows" ... to which he replied "oh yeah, they were great, really amazing". As he started to walk away I said"Matt, take care and keep up the good work". To which he just smiled at me. I know its not earth-shattering chatter, but hey, I enjoyed it and I think Matt did too. As the SUVs rolled away we waved.

Overall ... it was an interesting experience. Andrea and I hung out with a few other fans[Phil/Brian/Kat] before heading to the subway. Hope to have some pix to post on the Duchess page within a few weeks, so stay tuned...........

MESSAGE FROM THE JOHN KERRY CAMPAIGN REGARDING LAST NIGHTS DEBATE
Last nights debate was a decisive victory for John Kerry because Americas aw him as our next president. He showed strength, conviction, and a steady command of the facts. He offered clear plans for Iraq and fighting terrorism. George Bush has a record of failure to defend, and he failed to defend it. The president just gave us more of the same shallow promises. However, the Republican spin machine is already hard at work. The Kerry campaign needs your help to beat back their distortions. Right now we need you to contact the media and speak your mind. Contact national media using the link below and remember to emphasize the points above:
http://volunteer.johnkerry.com/speakout/tv

GREAT COMMENTARY FROM A FELLOW NYC KUCITIZEN
Hi All … I have been a supporter of Dennis since June 2003 when I first heard him speak. I also was an active volunteer from August 2003 till the DNC. While I still support Dennis and will continue to do so for 2008, I feel that there is a much bigger priority right now. I am not alone in that feeling. Dennis Kucinich himself is the person that inspired that feeling in me. I have known since I first heard him speak that he is the best person to lead this country. Unfortunately, the majority of U.S. citizens are not ready for his ideas. Knowing he is the best one, having faith in his judgment, knowledge and experience, I am putting my trust in what he has been encouraging his supporters to do. I heard what he said at a rally in the streets of Boston at the DNC. He said that "John Kerry is THE ONLY choice that we have now and his emphasis was on THE ONLY (he said it twice). I am trusting his judgment. I too am not thrilled with Kerry but our first priority needs to be (as Dennis states) to get this administration out of office. This is not the time to make a statement by voting for a 3rd candidate. The time to change from a two party system is not now. In the future, yes, after we get them out but not now. This is a critical time for this country and the world (since they are deeply affected by what this government does). We cannot afford to take a chance on this administration being in office another four years. Lives are at stake. I have total faith in Dennis' belief that the Democratic Party can be changed from within. It is because of my support of and belief and trust in Dennis that I am listening to what he is saying and that is that we need to make certain that John Kerry is elected. We have exactly one month and one day to do this as of this writing. As important as all of the other areas are (eg. DOP, PDA etc.), most of these can be put on the back burner for the short period of time that we have left before the election. While I want to be a part of the DOP and PDA, my focus for this time period will be to do what I can to help Kerry get elected. I hope that some of you will join in this effort. What I don't understand is why some DK supporters, (who still follow his messages and who will work to help him win his congressional seat back), will not listen to or trust him in what he is saying about Kerry. Please, if you love and trust Dennis as I do, read or reread what follows, this is what Dennis wrote. [See link below] I implore you to do so and to trust in what he says. Please pass this along. Your Sister Kucitizen - Linda G
http://kucinich.us/messages/092504-dennis.php

No comments: