Saturday, July 30, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #64

Back on July 16th, on my way to catch a MetroNorth train to Yonkers, I purchased the new Harry Potter book. Bought it at 30% off at Posman Books in Grand Central Station. Didn't care what it cost so long as I could start reading it ASAP. Proceeded to read it on the train ride to and from Yonkers that day. Finished it a few days later at 12:30am. Definitely a good story, tho the last two Potter books were far better.

Plus, I had some questions end of "Half Blood Prince". The ending of this book didn't upset me like "Order of the Phoenix". My initial reaction was more like "what the hell". Why?!? Also, my second thought was the next book [also the last] will be one hell of a roller coaster ride. The week following the release of the book saw all types of folk on NYC 7 & G subways reading the new novel. [smiling] But I digress from July 16th and my volunteer work at Yonkers Ferret Shelter. It'd been 2 1/2 months since my last volunteer visit and I missed the wee ones. It's always a pleasure seeing Joanne, as well as her two sometimes rambunctious dogs [ie: Harley & Mikey]. We caught up on news, gossip and health issues before commencing with duties in the shelter. Halfway thru my duties a hispanic family stopped by to drop off their 2 one-year old ferrets. [Little Baxter (photo) is such an adorable DEW ferret.]

Apparently they couldn't or didn't want to handle the responsibility. This happens alot with families who purchase baby [kits] ferrets without knowledge of how to be good responsible owners. They just think their cute and thats it. Sigh! Got alot accomplished that afternoon, enjoyed my visit and ferret fix has been satisfied. [smiling]

On Tuesday morning, July 19th, I briefly stop by the Greenpoint Clinic to give blood for my upcoming lung biopsy. The Bronchoscopy is slated for Thursday morning, July 28th, at the Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn. Also, my neighbor [John] was helping me with repair work on my kitchen sink and removing a nasty stinky clog in the system. I may be good at baking and cooking, but when it comes to other kitchen "stuff", I can sometimes be clueless. :-)

QUOTE OF THE DAY - We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm Hegel

On Wednesday, July 20th, I participated in the New York Dept of Peace congressional district team leader conference call, which was hosted by Kevin. Four other district team leaders were online including me and with Kevin it was five. We had a nice, productive one hour call. I believe Pricilla mentioned the following website ... http://wwwcongressmerge.com

Other main topic during the conference call was "experiences in writing to and/or calling our congressperson". I'm in the 12th district and Nydia Velazquez is my congressperson. She was a co-sponsor last time for the DoP bill. I need to contact her in August about signing on again for this 109th Congress. Much work to do between now and the Peace Conference in September. Plus the Dept of Peace bill will be re-introduced into Legislation on September14th by Congressman Kucinich. So it'll coinside as close as possible to the 9/11 anniversary. We need peace and love in this country and the world, NOT constant war and fear. [More peacemakers and less warmongers.] To learn more, go to http://www.dopcampaign.org

No comments: