Monday, May 08, 2006

PERSONAL NEWS #93
On Friday evening, April 21st, I finally got to meet and talk with Jonathan Tasini. [His official website is at http://www.tasinifornewyork.com] He's the progressive Democrat who is running for NY Senate against Hillary [Ms Republican Lite] Clinton. After work I headed down to the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan and the London Terraces huge block long, unique looking apartment building. One of those older NYC buildings with lovely outer architectural style that I just adore. Took awhile before I found the correct entrance and with help from the buildings many "doormen". Didn't even realize I was in the same elevator, riding up to 8th floor, as Tasini. He was on his cell phone and introduced himself with a pleasing smile at door to his friend’s apartment. It’s also his temporary campaign headquarters. He's quite personable, charming and outgoing. During the 2 1/2 hours I was there I did get to briefly speak with him, though sadly not on important issues of the day. Like Norm Siegel, there was an ease about Tasini, and I felt comfortable talking with him. I was there to do "phone banking" that evening and met with 7 other Tasini staff and volunteers. There was Adam, Stephanie, Marie, Al and four others whose names I cannot recall. I'm so sorry for this "senior moment".

I've been corresponding for a short time, via email, with Stephanie and it was great to finally meet her. I've met Adam Koch before, I just can't recall where and that'll bug me for awhile. After discussions on how to proceed with "phone banking"; we were handed "scripts" and lists of voting Democrats in NY State. Pizza was also ordered to feed and nourish us. I find it difficult to concentrate in a small room with others doing "cold calling", so I took over the bathroom as my "office". Everyone, even Tasini, found this very amusing in having the bathroom utilized as an office. I did vacate my "office" a few times when someone needed to utilize it for "other" purposes. I covered about 3/4 of the people on my list utilizing the cordless phone in the apartment, as I don't have a cell phone. Mostly got answering machines and left upbeat detailed messages. When I did reach individuals the responses were mixed. This didn't surprise me, or the others when dealing with folk on their lists. We made good progress and it felt good to help out. Left around 8:30pm and the weather outside had turned very chilly and windy.

Saturday, April 22nd, was movie night at Linda's place in Brooklyn. [That morning I finished reading "Memoirs of a Geisha", which I very much enjoyed and highly recommend to others. Fascinating story on Japan in 1930s & 1940s, plus what is involved in becoming a Geisha.] Linda picked me up around 6pm and we headed down to her place in Bay Ridge. Along the way we picked up her friend Phyllis. Also, Linda's friend from Queens, whose name I cannot recall, followed us in her car. Gosh darn these "senior moments". We picked up Italian food [plus wine] from a local place and sat down to watch "Kingdom of Heaven" with Orlando Bloom and Jeremy Irons. Well folks, we got about 1/2 way thru the film and decided we'd had enough. The story, which takes place during the Crusades and the fall of the Frankish Kingdom [1174-1188], is centered at the time of the Leper King. We four ladies made a democratic decision not to watch more of this graphically violent film. Too much for our sensibilities. Instead, we decided to watch a documentary on 9/11 called "Loose Change". I highly recommend watching documentaries regarding the tragedy of 9/11, as they are real eye-openers and food for thought. Alot of research goes into these films. Was al-Qaeda really involved in 9/11? [We know for a fact that Iraq had nothing to do with it.] Or could it of been an "inside job" by the Bush Regime to instill death and fear in the hearts of Americans. As well as further their corrupt greed for power, money and domination? Will they pull another "inside job" to further their plans against Iran? Overall it was a good evening and we also engaged in discussions on diverse topics. Linda drove me home as it was past midnight and I wasn't feeling too well. Getting a good night sleep will feel good.

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way. Native American Saying

WEEKEND LIBERAL NEWS

POTENTIAL HARD EVIDENCE SURFACES OF BUSH'S ILLEGAL SPYING
Onnesha Roychoudhuri, AlterNet
An Oregon attorney may have the first concrete proof of Bush's domestic spying operation -- which means the illegal program's days might be numbered.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/35807/

REVOLTING PHARMACISTS
Lynne Varner, TomPaine.com
As the conservative anti-abortion agenda skates dangerously close to anti-contraceptive, pharmacists say they shoudn't have to dispense Plan B.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/35853/

JOHN EDWARDS TAKES THE HARD ROAD
Peter Dreier, John Atlas, AlterNet
The former vice-presidential candidate has resurrected his 'two Americas' platform for a possible bid for the White House in 2008.
http://www.alternet.org/story/35849/

No comments: