Thursday, February 08, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS #114
On Wednesday, December 20th, I had another dinner date with Jerry. Since he is relatively new to the NYC area, I suggested visiting Chinatown and Little Italy. This was met with warm enthusiasm. After work we headed down to Chinatown, via subway, for a delicious leisurely meal at a restaurant on Mott Street. Due to the cold weather, we walked briskly over to Little Italy for dessert. On the way, we stopped by a street vendor so I could purchase Xmas gifts for my brother and sister-in-law. Wasn’t sure on style or color of scarf for Michelle, and so Jerry kindly lent me his cell phone for a brief call to Mom. He is such a nice gentlemen. Once that was taken care of we headed over to Ferrara’s for a yummy hot chocolate. Had an enjoyable evening and we discussed numerous, diverse topics. At the subway we shared a hug and then it was off to our respective transportation.

The following evening, December 21st, was the annual NYDoP holiday celebration and this time we held it at the Village Natural. Headed down after work and joined everyone at 6pm. Those that could attend were Karen, Ellen, Larry, Susan, Dawn, Carol, Gary, Joe, Marie, Maria, Howard, Marianne, Priscilla, Liz and I. After ordering and partaking of delicious, fresh vegetarian food we did the exchanging of holiday gifts. We don’t do store bought gifts, but instead give something from our homes. The gifts were a variety of books, poems, jewelry, figurines, etc. It’s all so enjoyable and fun. Throughout the 2 ½ hour evening we engaged in many conversations on numerous topics. Gary strongly recommended the recent film/documentary on Robert Kennedy, who was brother of President Kennedy. Overall a great evening with fabulous peacemakers.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Duchess Note – Members from NYDoP so rock the house of peace]

Next morning, December 22nd, I took a Trailways bus to upstate NY, where Dad picked me up at the bus terminal. Weather wasn’t that cold and sadly no snow on the ground. I spent a nice, relaxing long holiday weekend with my parents, brother and sister-in-law. Did some shopping, purchased beads, reading, watch cable TV; help Mom around the house and errands. On Xmas Eve, on our way to my brother’s place, we stopped to view a “Miniature Victorian Village” exhibit in an elderly folk’s basement near Hoosick Falls. This exhibit was free to the public during the month of December. From the photo below you only see part of this lovely exhibit with over 400 houses, other miniature items and even Xmas dolls. We learned that this couple starts putting it all together in August and takes months to complete. It’s a work of love and brings smiles to all who see it. That evening I drove Michelle and Duane around their large neighborhood to see all the Xmas displays on people’s homes. Such a beautiful sight to behold, then on Xmas morning we exchanged gifts before I headed back to NYC. Wanted to walk around my neighborhood that evening to see the Xmas lights, but had to put it off due to rainy weather. While at Mom’s I finished reading a memoir by Andy Summers called “One Train Later”, which I highly recommend. Andy is a brilliant guitarist and member of the rock group POLICE. Then I started reading “Holy Blood, Holy Grail”, which I had borrowed from a fellow NYC Kucitizen. [Thanks BC!] Overall it was a great holiday weekend.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Police Reunion Lineup Set
Jane Stevenson, Sun Media
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/P/Police/2007/02/08/3558761.html

On Saturday, December 30th, I joined my friend Jackie in going to see the film ERAGON. The film was pretty decent, dragon was cool and I adore Jeremy Irons. He has such a rich, lovely voice and is a wonderful British actor. Afterwards we headed down to Greenwich Village to check out the health food store LifeThyme. Jackie’s been here before and it was my first time visiting this awesome store. Like many good health food places the prices are slightly high, but the quality of selection and service makes up for it. Not far from LifeThyme is Rivera CafĂ© were Jackie and I headed for a leisure dinner. We talked about numerous topics and some odd encounters with an acquaintance [Carole] from our Tolkien/LOTRs group.

On Sunday evening, December 31st, I had a delightful, enjoyable and interesting three-hour phone conversation with Walter. A fascinating gent I met via Yahoo Personals and a great way to bring in the New Year. Merci beaucoup mon chere ami.

Andy Summers of the Police to Appear on Jon Regen’s Upcoming CD “Let It Go”
All About Jazz website
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=12552

Thursday, January 4th, I attended along with other NYDoP board members a meeting at Kevin’s office in midtown Manhattan. The day before I awoke with Laryngitis and wasn’t able to speak above a whisper. Before we [ie: Liz, Joe, Carol, Dawn, Kevin, Marianne & I] started the meeting they presented me with a mini cassette recorder to utilize. I’d been meaning to get one of these items, so as to make my secretarial duties for NYDoP abit easier. Sadly, my skills at shorthand are deplorable. I utilized the “new toy’ right away for our meeting and applying it toward meeting minutes. Main topics of discussion during the meeting were on becoming incorporated and going over bylaws. Overall the meeting was productive, congenial and excellent, even though all I could do was whisper.

On Saturday, January 6th, my workout session at gym with personal trainer was rescheduled and that evening Walter called and we engaged in another long, delightful phone conversation. I’m so enjoying these calls and love the sound of his voice. Also, he is very much involved with animal rights activism and loves dogs. Sounds like my kind of guy.

Police ‘Set to Reveal World Tour’
BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6342255.stm

Important Message from MoveOn.org Civic Action Team - Save NPR and PBS Once and for All
President Bush just proposed drastic cuts to NPR and PBS. We've stopped similar cuts in the past, but enough is enough: With the new Congress, we can make sure this never happens again. We need Congress to save NPR and PBS once and for all. Can you help out by signing this petition to Congress? It's really easy—just click the link below:

http://civic.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?referring_id=-4703541-fv0M1ArCOW6U4S4errv2og

No comments: