Tuesday, April 03, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS #118
Wednesday evening, February 21st, I attended a free 3-hour Landmark Education seminar with Elly and Sarah [ie: new members of NYDoP] in Manhattan. It was great seeing Elly and Sarah again, after that delightful car ride back from DC on the 4th. I was amazed at how popular this seminar is and was told it’s always “standing room only”. Not only were Landmark Forum graduates there, but folk like me who expressed interest. The seminar is basically about Landmark Education, forums and courses [www.landmarkeducation.com]. The weekend workshops sound awesome, but are abit pricey and I just don’t have the funds right now. I’m saving up to move to new apartment end of this year. I did take away some advice on relationships with friends, family and future beaux.

On Thursday, February 22nd, I participated in a NYDoP board member conference call and guest speaker [ie: peer advisor] was Lynn McMullen from National DoP. Great call that lasted over an hour and Lynn is always supportive, plus full of information/ideas. She mentioned that our three main goals should be about our broad base, grassroots and congress. Structure within the group is important, as is our vision. I took notes and also recorded the call, so that I could transcribe for our board members.

Saturday, February 24th, was the 4th Annual Grassroots Media event at the New School in Manhattan. I attended with Joe and Marianne, as we were tabling for New Yorkers for a Dept of Peace. Along with other media and grassroots organizations … event officially started at 10am and ended at about 5pm. I brought my bead style earrings to sell and make some money for NYDoP. 50% of all sales on peace related earrings and bracelets go to NYDoP. Joe and I arrived before 10am to set up our table and make it presentable. I’d say there were, including our table, at least 25 groups, organizations, and two radio stations. [One of which is a fav of mine … WBAI.] Lots of free information and many items [ie: books, t-shirts, buttons, etc] for sale. Over the course of 7 hours the three of us conversed with folk who came to our table about Dept of Peace [www.nyc-dop.com]. Plus I had numerous fascinating conversations with folk at other tables. One memorable conversation was with Janna at Guttmacher Institute on women, job interviews, female rights, politics and religion. We exchanged email info, so as to continue conversation and such at a later date. Sadly, I didn’t sell a lot of my earrings, as it seemed the majority of young women attending were into the Rasta, grunge, and funky look. I need to branch out and get funkier with my creations, plus take some workshops. I also want to set up a website, where I can display and sell my creations.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Duchess Note: Joe & I (photos) tabled at the Grassroots Media event along with fellow NYDoP member Marianne]
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next day, February 25th, I whacked my lower back while cleaning the apartment. So took a “personal day” on Monday to get treatment at my chiropractor. After work on Tuesday I got massage therapy treatment for the lower back. Slowly improving. . . .

No comments: