Monday, October 21, 2002

Yesterday was a cheerful, fun, productive day. Delightfully sunny, warm Autumn weather with few clouds and a light breeze. Left my apartment at 9:30am and took subway into Manhattan, more specifically down to South Street Seaport. Sunday was the annual MS Bike Tour and I was participating as a volunteer. Arrived shortly after 10am and went to volunteer check-in. They assigned me to handing out the goodie bags to incoming bikers, but I soon tired of that and wanted to do something really productive. So I inquired around with a few MS Event Marshalls and they sent me to help with food production. Worked on a assembly line in putting together many grilled chicken sandwiches for the hungry bikers. With special gloves on my hands I started out stuffing the grilled chicken into the rolls. Then was shifted to a different part of the line to put Ranch 1 special sauce on the sandwiches. Several assembly lines were going at once and this chore lasted two hours. Several thousand bikers, volunteers, etc needed to be fed. Afterwards I was delegated to man several tables with food [ie: donuts, chips, apples, yogurt & water] and see that the bikers were well provided with free goodies. This part I enjoy too, as I get to chat with other volunteers, as well as the bikers. In the background we could hear a live band playing music and occasionally observe what was going on at other stations or booths. Everyone was in a good mood. After the grilled sandwich assembly line I was able to drink some bottled water, plus nosh on a donut and frozen fruit ice cream. Before leaving the area at 4 pm, I too grabbed a goodie bag and filled it with some free food. From there I walked south to where my office is located to utilize the computer [ie: answer emails & surf the net]. Got home after 6pm, nibbed on a sandwich and read LOTRs rest of the evening.

No comments: