Sunday, October 06, 2002

Greetings Everyone!

Had a nice, long, busy, fun day yesterday [October 5th]. The weather held up nicely and was abit on the warm side, but got windy as the evening progressed.

Around 10am I had my weekly chiropractor visit in my neighborhood. Got the usual heat treatment/therapy ... which always feels so good. Followed by the adjustment [I refer to it as "snap, crackle, pop"] of my back and neck. I'm good to go for another week. Yeah!

Got back to my apartment in time to grab my things [backpack] for the day/evening outting. Heading into Manhattan and specifically Grand Central Station to catch the 12:20pm train to Yonkers. Its been two months since I saw the wee furkids at the Ferret Shelter and I missed them. Caught the train with 15 minutes to spare ... whew! Pleasant ride up and I worked on my crocheting [ie: winter scarf]. Got to Joanne's house [she runs the shelter out of her home] shortly after 1pm and we talked about on a number of topics. While I'm changing out of my sandals into socks/sneakers [ferrets love to nip at peoples toes - so its best to keep well covered] I was visited by Joannes numerous cats and of course her lovable dog Poopy. Then it was time to go into the shelter area and attend to my duties. Since my last visit in August, Joanne informed me that five furkids were adopted and four new ones taken onboard. Soon as the ferrets got scent of me ... they ran over to inspect me. Several of my favs are still there like Sweet Pea, Spats, Emily, Bouncy and Oliver. Speaking of SweetPea and Spats, those two were following me around alot during the first hour. I'd pick them up to cuddle and they'd try to get comfy. Oliver loves my sneakers ... plays with them, sniffs, lays across them if I'm standing still or tries to nip at the leather. He's a character and only 1 year old. Did my usual duties ... clean & fill up water bottles, brush the ferrets, clean their ears, clean up poopy accidents, socialize with them, break up fights, wash the floors, give them a few treats, etc. One of the furkids was showing signs of weak hind quarters and I discussed this with Joanne. After my sitdown lemonade/cookie break with Joanne in the kitchen, we put the youngsters back in their cages and then took out the geriatic group. That group seemed to be doing okay, except for one, he was just lying on a step near door looking lethargic. He was also trying to cough up a furball, but nothing was happening. Joanne said Laxatone usually works pretty good, but he wouldn't touch it. Nor would he touch water, Feratone, chicken flavor baby food or a raisin. Nothing! Not good ... so Joanne whipped up a small mixture of "duck soup". This is a mixture of several things that are good for ailing ferrets. She had to make him eat some using a dropper, plus a shot of medication. Afterwards, as I was working on something else, I'd check up on the wee thing and he seemed to perk up abit. With my duties finished I used the bathroom to change into fresh clothes and clean up abit. Joanne took me to catch the 5:30pm train back to NYC.

Back in the city I jumped on the subway at Grand Central Station and headed to Brooklyn. Was invited to attend a birthday BBQ at my gym. One of the trainer/owners of the gym was celebrating his 31st b-day. Lots of people were there when I finally arrived just before 7pm. Ate some good BBQ food, potato salad, nibbled on yummy desserts and drank abit of wine. It was lots of fun and talked with many cool, interesting people. The backyard area behind the gym was were the action was happening. Music was rocking over the speakers and the Yankees game on two tellys. Well, well ... the mighty [they think they are] Yankees lost out [hee hee] to the CA Angels and won't be going to the World Series. I wouldn't mind seeing Minnesota Twins in the series. Anyhow ... it was a fun evening that capped off a good day ... loved it!! Got home around 11pm feeling abit drunk and tired.

On that note ... time for this gal to sign off until her next entry. Take care all ... remember to keep rocking in the "free" world!

No comments: