Monday, April 19, 2004

Personal News - Part XV

Yesterday was the annual MS Walk in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The weather was a lovely, sunny, warm spring day. [Tho it did get abit breezy at times.] I didn't even need to wear the sweatshirt I brought ... just a t-shirt with jeans and sneakers. Lovely! [I've been participating and volunteering with MS Society since 1993.] Over last 6 years or so for NYC MS Society, instead of doing the actual walk, I volunteer my time and collect pledges for this worthy cause. [Two acquaintances of mine in the UK have had MS for last 20 years.] It may not seem like much, but so far I've collected about $185 from co-workers and my goal was for $200. Which I may obtain and hopefully surpass, as the pledges don't have to be submitted until end of May.

As in the past 6 years, I volunteer at the 3rd rest stop area, which is located in Brooklyn Heights at Cadman Plaza. Got there just before 12 noon yesterday and the truck with supplies was waiting. A few folk were standing around trying to get info via the walkie-talkies when I strolled up. The two people [ie: Lynn & a chap who's name I can't recall] "in charge" were new to all this and had no idea about setup or certain procedures. When I told them I'd volunteered at this "rest stop" many times in the past, they asked me to supervise. Sure ... you betcha! More volunteers [ie: high school seniors] showed up and we opened the truck. Setup took no time at all, collected everyones volunteer cards, hand out MS volunteer vests [pink] and then waited for the "walkers". The walkers started showing up around 12:30pm and the last scragglers ambled along at 3:30pm. Clean up took no time at all and there were leftover supplies [ie: water, oranges, raisins, chips & power bars]. We all took our share of goodies, plus received a free MS Walk t-shirt and other items. I left around 4pm, took two subways back to my 'hood, stopped by Internet Cafe to briefly check emails et al online and waltzed home around 4:50pm. Its still nice, sunny outdoors and I have my windows open to air out the apartment. Overall it was a good day. I hope everyone enjoyed this lovely spring day and please donate to the national MS Society. Thanks!

No comments: