Monday, September 30, 2002

Yes, I know, another entry into my online journal and so close to the last one. I'm sure there is someone out there who's saying ... "surely you jest". Nope, not this time. Let us not dally to long on minor fibbles and swing into the real news.

I live on a relatively quiet Brooklyn street. Not much goes on from day to day and that suits me just fine. This morning, however, was a different story. At about 5:15am I was jogged out of a deep sleep by my upstairs neighbors frantically walking back and forth in their apartment. Sounded like cattle on a stampede. I tried to block it out and go to sleep again, as I had another 45 minutes. But it persisted and then I heard, as well as saw [window open] flashing lights outside my livingroom window. I'm like ... what now ... damn firetrucks. Next thing I know its 5:30am and my landladys grandson John is banging on my door. He's yelling for everyone to evacuate the building. I live in a three floor, six apartment, building and I'm on first floor. Thats when I smelled smoke drifting into my livingroom window. I was like ... what the f--k?!?

Well folks, this gal sleeps in the buff, so I just grabbed some gym clothes [ie: long grey sweatshirt & black leggings] to throw on. [Did I mention that I forgot to put on sneakers or sandals? Anyhow.........] Picked up my wallet and keys ... closed and locked my door. Hey, I live in NYC, don't want anyone breaking in to rob me. So I run out of our building and see my landladys daughter Colleen on the sidewalk. Find out the fire is in the basement of her building, which is right next door to my building. We get to talking and try to comfort each other, all the while I'm combing my hair with fingers. Must of been nerves, as well as trying to look halfway decent. Two firetrucks are already there and entered Colleens building. A sigh of relief thru the crowd upon hearing that everyone [ie: residents] is out of all three buildings. My building was evacuated, as was Colleens and her mothers [my landlady]. I talk with several of my neighbors and watch the scene unfold before me. More firetrucks show up, an ambulance and two cop cars. So much for a quiet residental street in Brooklyn.

The firemen do their job in the building [ie: breaking windows & hosing everything down] and on the roof tops. We see greyish/white smoke coming out of the roof of Colleen's building, as well as her mothers. At one point this chap from down the street starts chatting with me. [Not a bad lookin chap and pretty decent. Until his Mum drags his butt home.] I've seen him around the 'hood ... but usually don't pay much mind. I guess you could say I live in that 'hood, but not really apart of the community. I feel more attune with my gyms neighborhood. Yeah, I know, I'm abit odd. Then the firemen go into MY building and I'm thinking ... "oh s--t don't break down my door". But they didn't ... instead went into the apartments next to Colleen's building. Whew!

It was cool out this morning about 58 degrees and no wind. Amen! Finally the firemen finished their work and it appeared that one of them hurt his ankle. He was helped to the waiting ambulance for treatment. One of my neighbors [John lives on top floor of our building] found out that we could go back into our building. I was very thankful for this and needed to get ready for work. Noticed by the clock that it was 6:30am. I checked my emails, had breakfast, called Mom, showered, dressed and left for work at 8:20am. Before heading into the office I called to leave a message on my bosses voicemail. Explained the situation and said I'd be in around 9am. And there you have it!

Time to sign off ... take care of some office things before heading out to get a manicure/pedicure. Ciao!

No comments: