Thursday, December 04, 2003

Here now my Thanksgiving holiday weekend report … better late than never.

Headed upstate NY on the morning of turkey day. There is usually less traffic on the highways and the buses aren’t so crowded. Mind you, it’s still crazy at Port Authority bus terminal in NYC, but not as bad as the evening before. Bus ride up to Albany was uneventful and arrived on time. Dad picked me up, plus had Duane and Michelle in the car with him. Michelle was spending turkey day with her family and we were just dropping her off. A quick mention of the weather; which was sunny and warm that day, not so rest of the weekend. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Up at the homestead, after a quick lite lunch, Dad helped me put the icicle lights on the outside of the house. The four of us [i.e.: Mom, Dad, Duane & I] went up around 3:30pm to Nan & Nick’s log cabin home for the big turkey event. Also there was Bob, Robert, Lil, Deena & Farrah. My cousin Chris, his wife and their three children joined us later during dessert. This is Nan and Nicks first Thanksgiving celebration in their new home. We sat down at 4pm to a large, yummy spread of goodies and Nick made a toast. The wine was flowing that day. After an enjoyable time … got back to my parents house after 7pm.

Next day was spent helping Mom, who is still laid up with cast on foot, with the decorations around the inside of house. Took down autumn décor and put up Xmas décor. All looks pretty, cheerful and festive. Later in the afternoon I made a quick run over to Greenwich to purchase yarn for a crocheting project. Then we headed back to Nan & Nicks for turkey trimming leftovers, plus I borrowed their computer/internet. [Congrats to Rusty on adopting a new ferret.]

On Saturday I went to hairdresser in the AM and in the afternoon we drove to Saratoga to shop at Wilton Mall. When I went to rent a wheelchair for Mom, the lady told me the Mall was insanely crowded on Friday and they sold $8,000 worth of gift certificates. Damn! Mom and I got lots, but not all of our holiday shopping done. On way back to the homestead Mom noticed that Union House Restaurant was having an Art Show. So as soon as I could borrow the car from Dad, I drove back and attended it. The artwork [mostly watercolor, pastel & some oil paintings] was done by Jane Bates, who is a retired nurse and also runs an Alpaca farm. Had an enjoyable time, sampled some free food at the buffet and engaged in fascinating conversations with artist, as well as other patrons. Wish I had some extra buckos, as there were some lovely paintings I’d have purchased for my apartment. Sigh! On Sunday I took an early bus back to NYC, so I could purchase groceries, do laundry and put up my Xmas tree.

P.S. Over the holiday weekend I got to watch some cable tv. Always enjoy viewing EMERIL LIVE, the food network and got to see the film X-MEN, plus DR NO and GOLDFINGER. While shopping on Saturday I finally purchased the new Pearl Jam DVD called LIVE AT THE GARDEN. WooHoo!

No comments: