Sunday, December 28, 2003

Well folks, the last few days have had its share of eb and flow. [So sit back a spell ... as I have much to relate.] In the days leading up to my long Xmas holiday weekend I received nifty cards and gifts. Always a pleasure receiving pretty cards, newsletters, etc from family, friends near and far. From some of my co-workers I received the following gifts ... gift certificate to Sephora, Godiva chocolates, cosmetic accessories, pot holders and kitchen items. I brought in a big tin of assorted homemade holiday cookies, along with a small selection of Petit Fours a dear friend sent from VA, to share with my co-workers. Everyone enjoyed the goodies. For some of the bosses I've been admin to over last few months ... I made them my raisin/walnut tea bread as gifts ... I also gave a tea bread to the admin who sits next to me.

On the morning of December 23rd, I received a call from Mom saying that Dad was in the hospital. Oh dear ... the doctors are not sure [until more tests can be done] if he's got a nasty case of Bronchitis, heart trouble or pneumonia. As he had some pains in his chest and a fever. After two days of being in the hospital [Mom & I drove him home morning of Xmas Day] they found it was just Bronchitis and he may be borderline Diabetic. More related news on this later. While talking to Mom on 23rd, I asked who'd be picking me up at Albany bus terminal since Dad is in hospital. My uncle contacted a friend of his who has a taxi service in town and they [ie: Bobbie] picked me up when I arrived around 7:30pm. Even tho in the NYC area we haven't seen snow on the ground for quite some time, its still on the ground upstate NY. Tho slowly disappearing due to the rain and slightly warm temps.

Anyhow ... I took December 24th off as a vacation day from work and the office is officially closed 25th & 26th. Amen! I love long weekends! The 24th was a busy day starting off with my hair appointment at salon in the early AM. John James [Hollywood actor] was there with his son Phillip getting haircuts. They live in Coila on a farm. I believe he was on that TV show DYNASTY back in the 1980s. Still a handsome dude. Before going out to brunch, Mom and I visited her friend Doris. She has a lovely collection of Santa dolls. After brunch we drove over to hospital to spend time with Dad. I brought him one of his gifts, which was a 2004 Road Atlas. He loved it. Mom & I did some shopping in Bennington ... let me tell you ... the roads, parking lots, stores were jam packed. Whoa! Back at the house we relaxed, watched some cable TV, exchanged gifts and then went to Nan & Nicks place for some snacks & socializing. Also got to see Nan's lovely displays of Xmas decor throughout the whole house and two Xmas trees. My aunt really gets into Xmas and even has a small village setup down in the "fun room" or basement of their log cabin. My Uncle Bob joined us. We nibbled on snacks and talked for a few hours.

Next morning was Xmas Day and I whipped up a yummy banana pancake breakfast for Mom and I. Then we drove to Bennington to pick up Dad from hospital and drop off a tin of my homemade cookies to the nursing staff. Nice bunch of gals. After lunch Dad felt well enough to drive me [Mom came along for the ride] to Albany bus terminal to catch 3:30pm transport to NYC. While waiting for the bus some jerk tried to cut in front of me and another dude. Told us it was his original spot in line. Bullshit! I'd been standing there for 20 minutes and never saw this dude before. [Only three ladies in front of me.] He was trying to pull a fast one and this gal wasn't standing for it. Not while I'm PMSing. Hell no! So me and this dude next to me kicked his stupid ass OUT of line. Told him end of line was BACK there. You know what ... seems he'd been giving the staff at bus terminal a hard time as well. They fixed his ass and he never made it on the bus. Hurrah! Bus ride down to NYC was uneventful and no traffic. We arrived back into NYC 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Sweet! Left Port Authority and got a taxi right away. By this time its 6pm and I didn't get home until 6:30pm! Sort of a taxi ride from hell. Took the cab driver 10 minutes to get thru Times Square! The traffic of cars and pedestrians was incredible. Felt more like New Years Eve than Xmas Day. Unbelievable! Once out of the Midtown Tunnel I told driver to turn a quick right. But NOOOOOOOO ... the dumb f--k doesn't listen to me and we're heading on Long Island Expressway to Queens. I'm still PMSing and cursing like a sailor. After many wrong turns and me still trying to give this dumb ass directions, we make it back to my neighborhood. He wavered the tunnel toll, just as well as I wasn't about to pay it and I didn't. What was suppose to cost me only $14 tops ended up costing me $20. Good Lord!!! But, I'm home in my little apartment and that is the important thing.

[Hang in there ... still more news to come.]

December 26th was my dear friend Katherine's wedding up in CT. Up at 6:30am to get ready for the event and out the door at 9am. Had already purchased my train ticket back on 21st, so I wouldn't have to stand on any long lines. [Got the "monthly" this morning.] Was wearing my nice, new navy pinstripe suit with gold/pearl jewelry and my hair was down and looking stylish. Hopped aboard the 10:07am train to New Canaan where Katherines Mom [Joan] and beau Bob picked me up at the station [11:15am]. The weather that day couldn't decide if it was going to be cloudy or sunny, but it was definitely cold. Arrived at Katherine's Mormon church at 11:30am. She converted to Mormon back in the early 1990s and her fiance [now her hubby] Maurice is a Catholic. Its both their second time at marriage, since they divorced their first spouses years ago. The wedding and reception were to be a small, charming, intimate affair and it did turn out to be so. Maurice was already at the church, along with his folks, brother/wife/children and a good friend. Katherines brother Al was there with girlfriend Andrea.] As the other guests arrived, we waited [socializing] in the lobby for Katherine to show up with her two daughters. Wedding was suppose to start at 12 noon. Ah ... well ... it didn't.

One of the guests to show up was Laurie, who's also been a long time friend of Katherines. We knew each other since Elementary School in Pound Ridge. Anyhow ... Laurie and I used to be best buddies until senior year of high school. Haven't really spoken much to each other in 26 years. Yeah, I know, long time. Tried a few times to "talk" to her over the years, but I guess she wasn't ready, so I didn't force the issue. I basically told her to f--k off in May 1977, via snail mail, and in October 2003 Deb told me to basically f--k off via email. Many similarities to both events and would take to long to discuss now. During those 2 to 3 hours at the wedding/ reception we did socialize. I was fine and at ease with it all, plus I think Laurie was too. Katherine later told her Mom that one of the happiest memories she'll treasure was seeing the two of us talking. [That made me feel good.]

Anyhow ...back to the wedding events. Katherine did finally show up with her daughter Aimee at 12:35pm. She wasn't being fashionably late, it was all due to her older daughter Cherie, who's been having some emotional traumas lately. After getting Katherine to calm down and make adjustments to her pretty satin/velvet green dress with Xmas style velvet shoes [plus silver cross necklace]. The wedding would be able to proceed, which it did around 12:50pm. The ceremony was very nice, so touching and short. [Sermon, music, prayers/blessing & vows] Both Katherine and Maurice looked very happy, plus emotional, when taking their vows. Afterwards the guests hugged the newly wedded couple and socialized before heading into the buffet style reception. Yep, everything took place in the same building/church. Her fellow parishioners did a lovely job of setting things up. Very amiable folk. The buffet was simple & country style, but very tasty affair and I enjoyed eating some corn/potato chowder, plus egg salad finger sandwiches before nipping into wedding cake. [No liquor was served, just water with lemon slices.] Before sitting down at bridal table to eat and chat with others I brought some of the wedding party out to the main lobby to take pix. One of the shots is of Laurie, Katherine and I ... it turned out very nice. Everyone had a lovely fun time, plus gave the bridal couple some gifts, cards & money. Joan and Bob drove me back to the New Canaan train depot and I caught the 3:30pm train bound for NYC. Since the wedding was during midday, sadly not all the invited guests could attend due to work commitments. I'm so happy that E&Y gave us staff the day off.

No comments: