Tuesday, October 18, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #74
From the evening of September 22nd through midday of 26th I was down in Cape May [NJ] on a mini vacation. As I mentioned in previous "personal news" ... my co-worker lent me her small condo on New Jersey Avenue. [View from condo looking at Atlantic Ocean - Photo Below] This area of Cape May is near the northern end of Beach Avenue, where it’s mostly large residential homes.

Many of these pricey summer/weekend homes were newly built within the last 3 to 5 years. Later learned that the small plots of land these big houses are built on is worth more than the actual house. Real estate market has gone crazy in this area, as well as the premium area between the lighthouse and Sunset Beach. I noticed several subtle changes in the whole Cape May area since I was down two years ago. [Overall, the seaside resort area is still pleasing to the eye.] Plus, learned more during my visit to Twin Gables Inn to see Harry & Regina. It was great seeing them and their lovable Golden Retriever Brandy. Sat on that delightful veranda chatting with them, their weekend guests and partaking of afternoon tea. Just like ole times. They mentioned the Inn is up for sale and as soon as it’s sold their retiring to Florida. [Sigh, no more relaxing evenings sitting on that charming veranda or partaking of Regina's delicious breakfasts.]

My visits to Cape May over the years were made more special from staying at Twin Gables. An era is passing. During the weekend, on two occasions, I stopped by Cape May Bike Rental to chat with my buddy Joe. He also kindly repaired Maureen's bike for me. While visiting him I also met a few of his funky friends and we enjoyed some fun conversation. The weather held up nicely over the four days and only on Saturday did it get cool/overcast. I did alot of riding around on the bike, some shopping along Washington Street Mall, utilize Internet/computer at local library, hangout at Sunset Beach, visit the lighthouse and also sit on the beach reading Thomas Paine's "Common Sense". [Photo below was taken near Cape May lighthouse in a residents front yard. Its a charming wood sculpture.]

Many of my meals were taken at the condo, as it’s cheaper that way [thx Wawa]. Though I did have one tasty lunch at Depot Cafe. Also watched abit of cable TV at the condo. Caught up on viewing the Food Network, Weather Channel & History Channel. Some of the movies I watched were "Arsenic & Old Lace", "In & Out" and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Overall it was a nice, relaxing weekend and felt sad when I left Monday around 11:30am.

On Wednesday, September 28th, I participated on the monthly National DoP conference call at 9pm. Of which Dot Maver hosted ... she mentioned that there are now 281 Dept of Peace District Team Leaders in 48 states of the US. [The Duchess is one of those DTLs.] This was exciting news! There was mention of a "Peoples Summit" taking place in London during October. Plus a DoP event down in Puerto Rico in December, of which Dot Maver and Marianne Williamson will be attending. Lynn McMullen was also on the call and mentioned a foundation that wanted to contribute to our campaign. Hurray! Many folk, on the call, related their experiences regarding the recent 3rd Annual Peace Conference. All the stories were great and inspiring. Also learned that next summer there will be "regional peace conferences" and that we DTLs should connect with our State Coordinator. Great conference call and several of us New Yorkers were on it.


The following evening, September 29th, was the monthly NYC Chapter DoP board meeting. This time it was held at Kevin's office on 34th Street. Kevin works at ESPN and the layout of office space is really cool. We ordered some takeout food [which arrived late] and then commenced with the meeting. Those in attendance were Ellen, Dawn, Liz, Charlene, Joe, Kevin, Carol and Maria. A majority of the meeting centered on "Congressional Coordination" committee work and reports. We also covered a good portion of old and new business while noshing on food. Finally, we wrapped things up around 9:30pm and head off towards our respective subways. [As an aside, I mentioned to all at the meeting that I'm trying to find a round B&W peace sign beads, so as to make earrings to sell at events. If any were spotted to let me know.]

QUOTE OF THE DAY ... Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under. H.L. Mencken

On Saturday, October 1st, I headed up to northern Manhattan and Fort Tryon Park off the A line. I'd never been there before and was impressed with the lovely park grounds, surrounding residential area and the Cloisters. Showed up to help out my friend Eileen [Programme Director] for four hours. [Poor thing, under alot of stress prepping for this event and dealing with Bronchitis. Plus, I hadn't seen her since we went to that wedding in VA.] Eileen, Adam, Jay and I walked around Fort Tryon Park, plus surrounding area, setting up and posting flyers for the 21st annual Renaissance Faire. It was such a wonderful, perfect Fall day. Not a cloud in the sky and warm sunshine. [I even got abit sun burnt.] We also had to work on Faire posters back at NY Renaissance Faire office. At 4pm I had to leave, as I had to pick something up at my office before joining my friend Cielito down in Park Slope for dinner. We met up around 5:45pm and caught up on "news" during nice dinner at a Chinese place on Union Street. Mostly telling her about the Peace Conference in DC. [All thru dinner my neck was bothering me & I realized I may have gotten too much sun.] From there we strolled up Union Street to this great, funky atmospheric place called "The Tea Lounge". [Kind of reminded me of the coffee house scene in "Friends" TV show.] I probably shouldn't have had a slice, but this amazing looking chocolate cake seemed to be calling my name. Cielito had tea and also shared the cake with me. By 9pm I was feeling more and more ill. Asked Cielito if she'd drive me home, as I didn't think I'd make it on the subway. After getting some gas for her car, she dropped me off at my apartment around 9:30pm and 10 minutes later I was very ill in the toilet. Went straight to bed, slept soundly and by next morning I felt absolutely fine. Go figure......

P.S. More "Personal News" coming soon.

No comments: