Thursday, October 27, 2005

PERSONAL NEWS #76
On Saturday, October 8th, I headed up to Yonkers to do volunteer work at the Ferret Shelter. It’s been a few months since my last visit. Joanne and I were busy with many projects and events. Received an email from Joanne a few days before October 8th and she hoped I could make it on short notice. Absolutely! No trouble at all. Spending time with the darling wee ones brings me contentment and is good therapy. Silly me, I got abit messed up on “time” that morning and instead of leaving my apartment at 11am, I left at 10am. Didn’t realize my blunder until I’m at Joanne’s and standing under an umbrella [it’s raining hard] waiting for her to come home. After 10 minutes or so, she drives up and inquires as to why I’m early. Here I’m thinking its 1pm and it’s actually 12pm. OMG! Duh! Sigh! Ah well, I’m there, so might as well put in the extra time. Before heading into the shelter portion of her home, we have a good laugh and catch up on news. During the afternoon I took care [ie: furkid hygiene & grooming] of two groups of ferrets. There were four in the first group and they were totally fascinated with the sound I made from snapping my fingers.


If they were hiding, all I had to do was snap my fingers and they’d come running to investigate. It was so cute. The second group was made up of mostly young, active ferrets. They were more of a challenge when it came to grooming. Also, a friend of Joanne’s came by to help clean the “bird room”. Joanne showed me how to administer a certain type of medication to a sick furkid. The wee one behaved nicely while I took care of her. Enjoyed a relaxing chatty tea break with the ladies, ate some yummy coffee cake and then back to the shelter. Finished up the cleaning chores, freshened up and then took Metro North back to NYC.

[Photo at Left taken in March 2003 - Me holding a ferret]

The following evening, October 9th, I was invited by fellow NYC Kucitizen [Paul] to go to the movies with him and two other gents [ie: Bud & Dan]. Paul wanted to treat me to an early birthday present. He’s such a sweet, thoughtful friend. We met up around 5:30pm at the AMC Cinema on 42nd Street to see the new George Clooney film called “Good Night, And Good Luck”. [I raved about this film in an earlier Duchess Blog post.] The four of us really enjoyed the film and one could tell the audience did too. [A few of the films previewed looked interesting, especially a remake of “Pride & Prejudice.] Afterwards, we discussed the Clooney film at length, plus other related topics, over a light dinner at a charming Thai restaurant on 8th Avenue. Paul again treated me, as my birthday was coming up on the 17th. Overall it was an enjoyable evening. Thank you Paul!

GREAT REVIEW & COMMENTARY ON THE FILM "Good Night, And Good Luck" BY FELLOW BLOGGER anonyMoses [aka David Beckwith]
(Duchess Note - Thanks to Jude at Iddybud in posting this tidbit. And also to David in writing a fantastic review. You all are so awesome! Click on the link below. . . .]
http://www.epinions.com/content_209346596-484

No comments: