Wednesday, August 07, 2002

Good Morning NYC!!!!

That damn seven day heatwave broke up late Monday night. Amen! I woke up yesterday morning to a lovely, sunny, cooler day. Had lunch with Anni, an ex co-worker and it was lovely sitting out in a park noshing on sushi. Anni is about 3 1/2 months preggers and was telling me all about her latest "trials & food cravings".

I'm so looking forward to this coming Saturday, as I'll be heading up to Yonkers to do volunteer work at a Ferret Rescue Shelter. I've been interested in wee furkids for several years and I couldn't even begin to tell you how it came about. All I know is I love the little critters and they'd make good pets. Sadly I cannot own a pet ferret in NYC due to the nasty "ban" law [ie: ex-Mayor Rudy can be such a prick at times]. Also, my landlady does not allow tenants to have pets or children in our apartment building. I'm glad about the children part, as they can get very noisy & unruly, but regarding the pets was a bummer. In the meantime I was checking out ferret websites and even have a ferret calendar in my kitchen. From Barnes & Noble I purchased several books to read up on the fuzzies [ie: care, feeding, etc].

Last year during July 4th holiday weekend I was visiting my family in upstate NY. Mom and I went over to Saratoga Mall to do shopping and I checked out the pet shop. They had three little furkids and I got to play with one for 10 minutes! Well that experience got me even more hooked. Finally, in January of this year, I made more inquiries about doing volunteer work at ferret shelters near NYC. A nice lady from a New Jersey based ferret shelter told me about Joanne Dreeban who runs the Ferret Rescue Shelter in Yonkers, NY. Gave me her phone number, email address and the rest is history. My first visit to the shelter was in early February and I've been going once a month since then. It brings me such joy to be working and playing with the shelter furkids. My duties include ... cleaning poopy trays [ie: cages & floor], filling up water bottles, bathing/brushing ferrets, mopping the floors, socializing with ferrets, cleaning cages, etc, etc. I love it! There are several fuzzies that are favorites of mine ... such as ... Sweet Pea, Oliver, Emily, Spats, Bouncy Bear, Raisin Boy and Badger. That last ferret got adopted by a nice family a few months ago. Occasionally some ferrets do get adopted into good homes and then Joanne rescues more. At any given time there are about 20 to 30 ferrets at the shelter.

Some ferret web sites to check out:

http://www.gcfa.com
http://www.ferretnetwork.com/
http://www.metroferret.org/
http://ferretcompany.com"

No comments: