Monday, August 19, 2002

Greetings & Salutations!

I know I said I'd be more regular with this online journal ... but last week was sooooo busy at the office with meetings, projects, etc. On top of that I had a few commitments, then my lower back started acting up and its fine now. Then on Thursday morning I woke up and left side of my neck was in pain. Could barely move my head ... more on that shortly ... followed by Thursday at lunch time I had my first date with a chap since end of December. Hum ... what shall I talk about first ... date or neck situation?

I'll bore you all with the date scenerio. Met the chap [Steven - age 48 & works for Mayor of NYC Office] via Yahoo Personnals the week of August 5th. We corresponded for awhile before exchanging work numbers on August 12th. On my Personnal ad I state my preference for chaps in their 30s, but their responses are more like "lets have fun" instead of wanting to date and settle into a steady relationship. Then it goes to the other spectrum, where I get reponses from chaps in their 50/60s who only want a fling or are looking for step-mom material. Dating in NYC is not a picnic, not by a long shot. So I was like lets give Steven a try [he's been divorced for several years]. Our first phone call lasted 20 minutes and he did most of the talking about Wall Street matters [ie: stock market, etc]. He later apologized for hogging the phone line and said he was nervous. He finally asked me out for a lunch date, which we scheduled for August 15th, in my neck of the work woods. The day arrives and its hot outside so I wear a nice dress. Steven meets me in my office building lobby looking very sweaty and slightly hunched over. I'm like ... "oh dear" ... then I mentally told myself to give the chap a chance. Yah know ... don't judge a book by its cover. So we walk up the street to THE VINE restaurant. Steven is walking like some old dude and to find out he's got sciatica [spelling?] troubles but refuses to get treatment. Geez! Duh! At lunch he talked alot, has poor table manners and was abit show-offy with paying the bill. The topics we talked about ... yes ... I interjected my thoughts into conversation whether he liked it or not ... were interesting. I'll give him one more date try and then decide. I'm not attracted to him, but he is an interesting person. Oh well.................stay tuned.

I'll be back shortly ... I'm soooo hungry and need to buy lunch. Will finish todays journal entry in half hour. :-)

Hey all ... I'm back and happily noshing on brown rice/avocado/squash/zucchini/feta cheese. Total yummers!

Now on to the neck/back situation, which developed last week. Actually this has been going on and off since my car accident in 1980. Thats when the neck and back troubles really developed. Thru most of the 1980s I'd visit the chiropractor for adjustments and treatment. After awhile it got to be too expensive and I couldn't cover the costs. Not all companies medical benefits cover chiropractor visits. So for 14 years I went without seeing the chiropractor. Back in May 1999 I somehow hurt my lower left back while picking up a glass of water at work. Yeah, I know, these things do happen to me. Sigh! I was out of commission for awhile and couldn't do my usual gym or trainer routine for almost a month. Most annoying. Well, the back got better, but it still bothers me now and then. Last week it bothered me for four days. Ugh! Then after that clears up I wake up Thursday morning and left side of my neck is wacked out. Somehow I get thru Thursday and Friday morning its worse. I'm thinking ... does E&Y insurance cover chiropractor. Yep, they do and there is even a chiropractor in my Brooklyn neighborhood under United Healthcare. Hurray! Made an appointment [only one available was at 4:15pm] and my bosses were very understanding about my leaving office early that day. Their like ... "get well & soon"! Dr Abott did a consultation, x-rays, exam and then treatment. OMG!!!!!!!! When he cracked my neck I thought I was going to pass out. It hurt so much. I started hyperventilating and crying. Finally got my composure, dressed, put on white neck brace, paid my bill, made another appointment and went home. Took some Advil and waited for the pain to subside before doing my own wet heat treatment. My friend Larry helped me with grocery shopping and I had to cancel my session with personal trainer on Saturday. No working out at the gym for awhile. Sigh! Second visit to chiropractor on Saturday afternoon resulted in more wonderful heat therapy, massage and back/neck cracking. Yes, it was painful a second time, tho not as bad as first time. Sad to report I cried that time too. I have a low thresh-hold to pain.

Rest of the weekend I relaxed, read, did laundry, wet heat therapy, got a manicure, listen to music, eat lots of fruit, sleep and make phone calls. Now its Monday and I'm back at work, but seeing the chiropractor for a third time at 6pm tonight. Stay turned for more news.................

No comments: