Wednesday, March 17, 2004

ERIN GO BRAGH
The Seamróg (pron. sham-roh-g) is a three-leafed clover that grows in Ireland. It is seen in the artwork of the Celts and is used to illustrate the divine nature of the trinity. The Irish god Trefuilngid Tre-eochair: Triple Bearer of the Triple Key and Master of All Wisdom is the consort of the triple goddess Macha and controls the setting and rising of the sun. With the seamróg or Triple Key he created sacred trees and told the history of Ireland to the people. The latin word for clover is trefoil after him. His feast day is March 17th.

Personal News - Part VIII

They say the weather in March is always unpredictable and it certainly was the case yesterday with a snowstorm. Dumped three wet, slushy inches of the white stuff here in Brooklyn and just slush over in Manhattan. And Saturday is suppose to be the first day of Spring, as well as GLOBAL PEACE & ACTION DAY, when the "world still says NO to war in Iraq". I plan on being out in full force with my fellow Kucitizens that day, plus listen to our favor Democrat give a speech at the event. So far the forecast for that day sounds like it'll be sunny and in the low 40s. Nothing like last years protest march when it was a sunny day in the 60s. No matter what the weather ... "we the people" will be out there peacefully congregating together to show the evil Bush Empire our displeasure in their horrific actions.

BUSH LIES ... WHO DIES!!!

On Tuesday, March 16th, I joined several secretaries from the 28th floor to celebrate a co-workers recent promotion at work AND engagement to a swell chap. One of the partners footed the bill and we had a terrific, fun luncheon at BARBETTA Restaurant on West 46th Street. This part of 46th Street, off of 8th Avenue, is known in the theater district as Restaurant Row. [A brief history on Barbetta Restaurant ... was opened in 1906 by Sebastiano Maioglio, and now owned by his daughter (Laura Maioglio). Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York that is still owned by its founding family. Located in the 1874 and 1881 townhouses.] To learn more about this restaurant ... go to the following link:

http://www.barbettarestaurant.com

We arrived shortly after 12 noon and pretty much had the dining area to ourselves for first hour. [The group consisted of me, Barbara, Michelle, Debra, Paula, Florence, Lani & Ginger.] During second hour businessmen occupied three other small tables. Much of the pricey menu was in Italian, but from what we could tell, it was of northern cuisine and the waiter acted as translator. Many of us ordered wine to go with our meal. I dined on a delicious chickpea/red pepper soup, followed by Swordfish with a unique lentil sauce and for dessert nibbled on a lemon/pistachio tart with raspberry puree sauce. OMG! It was all out of this world and I was so full for hours afterwards. The decor reminded me of 18th Century France, but it was actually northern Italy. The look of 18th Century was similar in certain ways between the two countries. And while we dined it was snowing outside. We ladies agreed that this was something we'd love to do once every four months AND especially if a partner foots the bill. Hell yeah!

Over the past weekend ... in between watching a few DVDs [one being Pearl Jam's "Live at the Garden"] ... I was helping out my good friend Larry check out Condo "open houses" throughout parts of northern Brooklyn. The people that run these "open houses" tend to give more "info" to couples than single folk, so Larry and I pretended to be a couple. Well hey ... if it helps out a friend ... why not. As for these Condo's ... mon dieu ... there isn't much to them with little square footage and hardly any closets. [Poorly built & in some cases crappy neighborhood.] Some had other features, like access to a roof garden or parking space, but for the prices [ie: over $400,000] they were asking I felt like one was being very much shortchanged. Personally, I'd rather get a house in the suburbs or a cottage up in VT.

Have you ever spotted someone of the opposite sex on a train, subway or bus and instantly felt a strong attraction or deep yearning?!? Hum......... That’s happened a few times over the years for me ... but not as strongly as over last 5 months on the G train. There is this one young white dude [mid to late 20s] I've seen once or twice every week, whom I find terribly attractive, even with his dreadlocks. Actually, that latter bit adds to his allure. I've tried to get my nerve up to talk to him, but always become shy or fear of rejection stops me. So I gaze at him with care and glance away occasionally when he looks my way. I try to play sleuth and figure out where he goes just by glancing at his nice, very hip, though clean appearance. So far I've come up with him possibly being a teacher at a school or college out in Queens. He always wears a look of concentration, his thoughts in another realm and broken occasionally by a yawn. We both change trains at the same stop to jump on the 7-subway line. He goes to Queens and I towards Manhattan. Whenever I see him on the train it brightens up my morning and brings a smile to my face. Wish I knew poetry, so I could dedicate a passage or two to him. Maybe one day I shall..............

Congressman Kucinich spoke out against the life-threatening use of radioactive depleted uranium munitions on Monday at a press conference in Illinois. He is seen here with Dr. Doug Rokke, who is one of the world's leading experts on the use of munitions containing depleted uranium.

The Weeklty Tirade
Every Monday In Comedyzine
by Scotty Kowall
http://www.comedyzine.com/tirade359.html

PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER
Song by Patti Smith
[During Pearl Jam's RIOT ACT tour in 2003 they sang this wonderful song a few times. One of those times was at the Albany, NY gig I attended in April 2003. Many fans in the audience were holding up PEACE signs in protest against the war & occupation of Iraq. It was a beautiful moment!]

I was dreaming in my dreaming
of an aspect bright and fair
and my sleeping it was broken
but my dream it lingered near
in the form of shining valleys
where the pure air recognized
and my senses newly opened
I awakened to the cry
that the people / have the power
to redeem / the work of fools
upon the meek / the graces shower
it's decreed / the people rule


The people have the power
The people have the power
The people have the power
The people have the power

Vengeful aspects became suspect
and bending low as if to hear
and the armies ceased advancing
because the people had their ear
and the shepherds and the soldiers
lay beneath the stars
exchanging visions
and laying arms
to waste / in the dust
in the form of / shining valleys
where the pure air / recognized
and my senses / newly opened
I awakened / to the cry

Refrain [chorus]

Where there were deserts
I saw fountains
like cream the waters rise
and we strolled there together
with none to laugh or criticize
and the leopard
and the lamb
lay together truly bound
I was hoping in my hoping
to recall what I had found
I was dreaming in my dreaming
god knows / a purer view
as I surrender to my sleeping
I commit my dream to you

Refrain [chorus]

The power to dream / to rule
to wrestle the world from fools

it's decreed the people rule
it's decreed the people rule
LISTEN
I believe everything we dream
can come to pass through our union
we can turn the world around
we can turn the earth's revolution
we have the power
People have the power ...

No comments: