Thursday, February 12, 2004

The inspiring story below is from Ms.P.Hall ... a dedicated "Kucinich for President" volunteer in California

I started canvassing this week, and had a great time. In 1-1/2 hours besides getting voters for Kucinich, I got three people to agree to have Kucinich yard signs, who either hadn't ever heard of him before I knocked on their door, or knew very little. The time is ripe. After introducing myself and asking if they'd like to hear why I think Kucinich would make the best president, I asked if they've ever heard of Kucinich, and then tell them that the reason they don't know much about him is that the media don't want us to know about him. "95% of our media are owned by 5 corporations, and Kucinich will break up that monopoly when he becomes president, and require free air time for political campaigns, and bring more diversity and freedom to our media. You probably don't even know that Kucinich placed third in the states of Washington and Maine, do you? He was above Edwards and Clark, and the media talks about them, but doesn't even mention Kucinich. We don't even have a democracy now, because a democracy requires an informed citizenry to vote responsibly. Without a free media, we don't have a democracy!" I really get a great response with this. Some people are ready to vote for him without hearing about any other issue! -- Even the Republican wife of a Democrat I spoke to, who listens to Limbaugh. And the subject of whether he can win or not rarely even comes up. I also talk about the Patriot Act. I ask "Do you know about the Patriot Act?" Most say no. Then I explain how it was enacted after 9/11 and Kucinich is the only presidential candidate who voted against it. It destroyed about half of our Bill of Rights. And the media hasn't informed you about that either."

I felt so elated and empowered that I canvassed much longer than I'd planned and want to do it twice a day, mornings and evenings and longer on weekends! Soon I'll see Kucinich yard signs all over my area! People from the state of Washington are coming down here to help us canvass. It's so inspiring. It touches my heart and moves me to tears. I'm offering my living room couch for one of them to sleep on. I also plan to have a house party once a week. We can bring California on board for Kucinich. I hope you will be inspired to canvass for Kucinich. Get involved with your local Kucinich support group to get a precinct list, and literature and bumper stickers and instructions. You can get connected via:

Kucinich for President Northern California Field Office
3362 Adeline Street
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510) 420-0772

No comments: