Sunday, February 29, 2004

Personal News - Part II

Well, here I am with more late personal news, and again due to being pre-occupied with work and other prior commitments. Lets see if I can catch up abit before I fall behind. Are you with me? Good! Lets rock and roll!

Usually I head up to the Yonkers Ferret Shelter once a month to do volunteer work. This usually happens first Saturday in the month and this time I wasn't able to venture up until Feb 21st. This was due to Joanne being busy and then in hospital for emergency surgery on her bladder. Surgery was successful and she came home on 16th and I called about 2 days later. While she was in hospital I mailed her a card, plus a 2004 Ferret Calendar. While on the phone I inquired if she needed any help with taking care of her pets or the ferrets in shelter. Her daughter Liz needed the break & was attending a funeral on Saturday. So we agreed upon Saturday around 11am and I phoned Aliza about the news. We talked about a number of things and decided she'd pick me up at the Woodlawn #4 subway stop.



At the appointed time Aliza was waiting for me in her car, along with her young daughter Briana and their 8 month old miniature poodle pup Mitzi. Takes roughly 10 to 15 minutes to drive to Joannes place from Woodlawn. Joanne had left the door unlocked so we could come right in and there she was waiting in the livingroom on sofa. Cats and dogs all over the place. After talking with her for abit ... Aliza, Briana and I took Joannes three dogs for a potty walk. Weather wasn't too bad outside and the dogs did their business. Back at the house/shelter Aliza and Briana stayed for abit, but soon left as they had other commitments. It was great seeing them again. Joanne gave me the rundown of what to do in the shelter and I commenced with my duties. The group already out were Oliver, Emily, Sweetpea, Big Willy and one other furkid. [Have known these few darlings since I first came to shelter two years ago.] Can't believe the fur color/marking changes in Oliver and how well Sweetpea recovered from her Adrenal surgery, tho was sad to hear that "Park Ferret" had to be put down. As was the case with all the ferrets that day ... I took care to brush their fur, clean ears and give them some treats. Throughout the next few hours I'd rotate the groups of furkids for playtime, clean ears, brush fur, clean cages, fill water bottles, put fresh kibble in dishes, fresh papers in their poopy trays, wash the floors, socialize with furkids, etc. Also got to cuddle and play with dear Fuzzbutt, who'd sniff and lick my ear as he rested on my shoulder. At one point Joanne and I took a tea break and talked about what she'd gone threw with surgery, plus the latest political Democrat race in primaries. At one point Liz came back from funeral and had her two youngest daughters with her. Her oldest was at a girl scout outing. When all was complete and back to order, Liz drove me to the Woodlawn subway stop and we had a good chat along the way.

Before heading home, once in midtown Manhattan, I briefly stopped by the office to utilize the computer and internet. Plus chatted on Yahoo IM with Steve and Martyn, who both sound like really cool groovy men. The evening before they both left terrific messages on my answering machine. Unfortunately they didn't leave a return number, so I couldn't phone them back and since then we continue to chat via IM.

Stay tuned ... Part III will be coming your way soon.

No comments: